Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Some NHL Action with the E-M5..

While sitting in the club level, which is one level above the floor seats and at one end, pretty much even with the goalie, so about one-third of the rink as I was looking at it was behind the protective netting and the other goal was all the way across the rink, not an easy reach for the 75mm, even using the 2x digital TC.

Post processing was easy as there was none. I just picked a few images from the group right off the card and loaded them to my E-M5 folder.
White balance was manually set to 4600K, but even set manually and with even television lights, spotlight/lazer light action often changed the color of the ice and messed with the colors. Shooting JPEG was a little fun, but next time I'm going back to raw capture. At 9 frames per second as long as you started the burst at the right moment, you are not going to miss anything.

Exposure was manual and I had gradation set to Auto. With the 75mm f1.8 I used ISO 1250, 1/3200 second at f2, and I used the 2x digital teleconverter to get in closer. The 75-300mm M. Zuiko was used manually at ISO 4000 and various shutter speeds between 1/640 second and 1/1000 second and "wide open", which varied depending on the focal length where I was zoomed.

As the game progressed I pretty much stayed with the 75-300 so I could reach the action at the far end. The (small) size of the outfit kept me safely out of anyone's field of view, which I am always acutely aware of. I told the people setting on either side to just hit me on the back if I got in their way. Thankfully it never happened.

The 75mm f1.8 with the 2X digital TC turned on..

The 75-300..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:45 AM   #2

I love the 6th picture where the referee dropped the puck before it hit the ice. The EM-5 can do no other M4/3 can, thus making it the king of the M4/3 clan. Nice work!
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus E-PL1 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:18 AM   #3

Face-off pic is great.
drew881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:05 AM   #4

Greg,

With the addition of the 75mm lens to your bag, you've systematically created a very complete photographic kit. One that anyone would be proud of.

But, I also know that the guy holding the camera is also responsible for the results

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5

I'll second Zig's reply. Very nice captures. I don't need a new camera, I need more experience.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:32 PM   #6

Couple of comments:
In shot 2 -- If Ryder did not score then bench the bum or send back to the minors
In shot 6 -- technically an illegal face off with the St. Louis clearly outside where he is allowed to stand. Puck should not have been dropped, and the player kicked out of the face-off circle.

Oh yeah, very stunning shots Greg. That the second shot was taken with the 75 with the "doubler" wow! And love the expressionless faces behind the net -- appears only two fellows are into the action. Must have bought their tickets from the scalpers outside ;-)
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:02 PM   #7

Because of the quality of the pictures, I detected that the hockey puck was not frozen for 10 days like it should have been which would cause the puck to bounce much higher off the ice than one that was frozen for 10 days. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Couple of comments:
In shot 2 -- If Ryder did not score then bench the bum or send back to the minors
In shot 6 -- technically an illegal face off with the St. Louis clearly outside where he is allowed to stand. Puck should not have been dropped, and the player kicked out of the face-off circle.

Oh yeah, very stunning shots Greg. That the second shot was taken with the 75 with the "doubler" wow! And love the expressionless faces behind the net -- appears only two fellows are into the action. Must have bought their tickets from the scalpers outside ;-)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:20 PM   #8

enjoyed the action series.

which TC are you using with the 75mm?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:27 PM   #9

He is using the TC built into the M5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
enjoyed the action series.

which TC are you using with the 75mm?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:35 PM   #10

Correct, the 2x digital converter. I would rather Olympus did their in-camera converter like Panasonic. I'm going to have to do some RAW+JPEG shooting using the digital TC on the JPEG and process the raw file with my own cropping in Adobe Camera RAW and see which I like better.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote