Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:28 AM   #1

Default Hey, Zig - are you gonna be OK?

It looks like a bad news storm heading your way.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:41 PM   #2

My way (Michigan) as well. The prediction is up to 10" of the $%**&^%%^& white stuff.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
My way (Michigan) as well. The prediction is up to 10" of the $%**&^%%^& white stuff.
Ouch! Best of luck to you!

But Bay City is an area where people know how to drive in snow, right? Coming from the Chicago area then northern Arizona, I've been shocked at what mayhem ensues from an inch of snow in the DC area.

Ted
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:53 PM   #4

I've witnessed that down south one year when they got a rare snow fall. There was cars off the road all over. Was kind of funny because that little bit of snow would be nothing up here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Ouch! Best of luck to you!

But Bay City is an area where people know how to drive in snow, right? Coming from the Chicago area then northern Arizona, I've been shocked at what mayhem ensues from an inch of snow in the DC area.

Ted
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:02 PM   #5

Quote:
It looks like a bad news storm heading your way.

Ted
Hi Ted,

Good to hear from you. As for the storm, looks like this one is the real deal.
Like you, with hurricanes coming up the coast, we've been thru these once or twice

I've got both cars filled with gas today. The portable generator, in case we lose power, has got fresh gas in it & got started up today. We've got 2 5-gal canisters of gasoline to keep it running if need be. The snow blower has been started and moved into the garage(I keep it in a lower shed when not in season.)

Our water is supplied from a well. So, tonight we'll start filling the tubs with water and have some extra for cooking.

Now, it's about the watching and waiting.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:08 PM   #6

They're calling it Nemo!

Expecting up to 30" up my way in southern nh!

Hoping to get out Sunday to the slopes!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:26 PM   #7

Well best of luck to both of you!!!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I've witnessed that down south one year when they got a rare snow fall. There was cars off the road all over. Was kind of funny because that little bit of snow would be nothing up here.
One morning here in the DC area when 2" of snow was forecast and they closed the schools early, I asked a colleague who is from Maine, "Where you're from, do they close schools for 2" of snow?". He said, "If you look around and see 2" of snow, where you are is not where I'm from."

Ted
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:44 PM   #9

Zig, it sounds like you're all set. Just make sure there's plenty of that recreational alcohol on hand as well to keep you warm

It sure sounds like you may see more snow this weekend than I have in multiple lifetimes......
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:44 PM   #10

Quote:
One morning here in the DC area when 2" of snow was forecast and they closed the schools early, I asked a colleague who is from Maine, "Where you're from, do they close schools for 2" of snow?". He said, "If you look around and see 2" of snow, where you are is not where I'm from."

Ted
What's funny is some of the worst days are those where we have a real cold night with a a couple inches of snow just before sunrise, if conditions are right it can create a layer of ice on the road that is absolutely impossible to drive on until the sun comes up and the roads warm a little, much worse than a night of snow where the snow gets packed and you can just drive on it.

We were mostly spared last winter, so we are due, I just stopped at the grocery store, sold out of milk, had to buy a $3.50 Organic 1/2 Gallon as it was all they had left oh well. Like Zig I've got a generator and a well for water so if we got generator power we got water, we made it through the great ice storm of 2008, 9 nights no power, we were very lucky to have just bought a generator that year.

I'm going to throw a fresh suet cake in the feeder for the little ones as I expect they'll be hungry and you don't want them mad

Carolina Wren on feeder by ramcewan, on Flickr

P1278480 by ramcewan, on Flickr