Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:44 PM   #1

Default walking around campus with the 25mm

Finally had a sunny day, very clear day here, which is rare in Pittsburgh. Walked home from campus from University of Pittsburgh near the border with the Carnegie Mellon campus to shoot these. I quickly pulled up the shadows in iPhoto, which I'm finding I actually like better than the Olympus Viewer 2 as far as getting some of the colors right and pulling out the shadows. I do really need to get Photoshop though, as I'm sick of using the school computers for it.

Love the 25mm panasonic, although I could have used a slightly wider lens for many of these shots (the 12-50 stayed in my bag).

A quick question though. I know its more of an issue with the Panasonic 14, but with the 25, do I need to take out CA? I'm not very good at picking it up with my eye anyway, but I remember reading about the need to do this manually in editing with the panasonic lenses)

(larger: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8...7b947cdb_k.jpg)

larger (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8511/8...6e3f4089_k.jpg)

larger (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8...2d3d81b6_k.jpg)

drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:11 PM   #2

Looks good, I guess you didn't get hit by the snow. As for CA I don't see any at this resolution, normally tree branches against deep blue sky makes it show. I don't think the 25 has much CA to correct, some other lenses like the 14 do which is where you hear that thing about in body ca correction on the Panasonic.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:35 PM   #3

Yeah, it totally missed us. We had 3-4 inches from another storm the week before, but it completely melted. Today was 45-50 degrees.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:16 PM   #4

Oh, if you get a chance take some snaps around the area where some of Forbes Field's outfield wall is still standing?

I've gotta make it up there, catch a Pirates game at that beautiful park and go on a few walks in that area myself.

Your comment about the limited FOV of the 25/1.4 is the reason why I'm really liking the 17mm f1.8 these days. It is hard though being disappointed with anything regarding the 25's image quality. It is super sharp.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:22 PM   #5

Yeah, not a problem. It is less than a block away from my work. The ugly modern concrete building above the statue in the 2nd photo is where home plate is located, and I work in the 40 story cathedral across the street.

I'm going to be taking a lot more photos in the next couple months of Pittsburgh I'm sure, as I'm moving to New Hampshire this summer.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:57 PM   #6

I recall the iconic shot of the students on top of that tower looking down on the stadium during the 1960 World Series. I recall, not remember, since I was only born in 1961, but I did buy the DVD of game 7 that was taken from the recording Bing Crosby had made.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:07 PM   #7

yep:
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:38 AM   #8

I bet you can get some incredible shots inside the cathedral of learning with the 25.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:12 PM   #9

Yeah, I haven't really tried though. It is weird being a tourist in your place of work.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:55 PM   #10

Those images look good. Usually you won't notice any CA unless you really blow up the image and have the right type of contrast.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote