Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:00 PM   #1

Default Oly 17mm f2.8 lens

I have a chance to pick up a used model of this lens in like new condition for 199.00. Does anyone have this lens that can attest to its sharpness. Is it noticeably produce better IQ than my kit lens (14-42II)?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I have a chance to pick up a used model of this lens in like new condition for 199.00. Does anyone have this lens that can attest to its sharpness. Is it noticeably produce better IQ than my kit lens (14-42II)?

I don't know much about it other than (obviously) it isn't as fast as the new 1.7.

But since you're looking at that, have you considered the Sigma 19mm? It seems like they're trying to get rid of them so it might be a time to look for deals on them. I think they're about 150 bucks (I'd pick one up if I didn't already have the panasonic 2mm). People seem to think it's really sharp and fast focusing (just not as "fast" as other options).
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:17 PM   #3

I would pass, from everything I have read it is probably one of the lowest performing prime lenses. I also think it is a bit steep considering the same money could have gotten you both Sigma lenses (not sure if the deal is still available). I did a quick check of ebay and there are plenty of NIB 19mm Sigmas for around $100 so you can also go that route.

It's worth skimming the slrgear reports on the two lenses.

Olympus Zuiko 17mm f2.8
http://slrgear.com/reviews/showprodu...ct/1276/cat/14

Sigma 19mm f2.8
http://slrgear.com/reviews/showprodu...ct/1484/cat/30

As for sharpness compared to the kit lens. It is tough to say, I don't have the kit anymore and when I did I didn't take a lot of shots. My initial take is that the Sigma is every bit as sharp as the kit lens if not a tad bit better. The bigger difference in my opinion is the better and brighter color that is achievable thanks to the wider aperture.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:54 PM   #4

Hi,

I do have this lens. I am not using it that much but it is great for street photography between it is so small that people think you are using a P&S camera

I paid $160 for it (used).

Gears: Olympus Gears including OM-D E-M5 and E-M1 with 12-50mm, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 25 and 45mm f1.8, 40-150 f3.5-5.6 and MMF2/3 4/3 adapters. Olympus E-30 DSLR, 9-18mm, 12-60mm SWD, 35mm Macro, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm, FL-36R. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, and it is more than enough ... I hope!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:19 PM   #5

It's an OK lens but I agree with ramcewan. For the same price you can get he two Sigma lenses. The 19mm is obviously to as wide or compact but I believe it's a better performer. I had the 17mm and sold it and I don't have the 19mm so I can't attest to the claimers here. If you really want o replace your kit lens, I suggest you look into the Lumix 14-45mm. It's an excellent lens. Your EPL2 AF will be faster and you get 3x zoom.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:31 PM   #6

I tried liking the 17mm f2.8. It is tiny and looked great on my chrome E-P3, but the images were just so-so. The center of the frame has decent sharpness but the corners really suffer, and stopping down does not help a lot.

It kind-of falls into the same category as the 12-50 for me. Great idea, with a somewhat less than ideal implementation. When I have used my 14-42II I have liked the results much more than what I've been able to capture with the 17mm f2.8.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:34 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your responses. James
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:59 PM   #8

Shot many pictures with this lens before getting rid of it. It is REALLY soft around the edges.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:27 PM   #9

You guys just saved me from buying something I likely wouldn't be happy with. The Panny 14-45mm sounds interesting. From reviews I've read from real owners, I'd say it's a pretty sharp lens with good contrast and color.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:00 PM   #10

James, did you get the firmware update for the E-PL2 and lens? It's old (installed it right after I bought my refurbished camera), but I've been told that it helps with some AF issues that could help out your kit lens a bit. I figure you probably have but thought I'd throw it out there.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote