Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:19 PM   #1

Default 60mm and 75mm M. Zuikos- Definitely Four-Thirds Quality

Any Olympus DSLR shooter would want the 75mm f1.8 in their outfit....had Olympus ever made it. As it is, I'm definitely having a great time with it..

Waited for a cyclist to come by before snapping this one..

The 60mm f2.8 is pretty darn sharp itself, both as a short tele lens (focussed on the mansion in the far background)..

or for closeups. This one was captured handheld at f4..

And this one at f5.6..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:54 PM   #2

....you're definitely having a good time, I can see that. Both of those lenses are just super; can you even imagine what they will be linke on the next gen OM-D.

BTW, I see there is, or is about to be, a firmware update for the EM-5.

For me, I made a picture yesterday of the great tree at Veterans Park. I walked the wildflower area but nothing showing except for bull thistle, it iwill be a while before there is much happening. I saw one jonquil bloom.....

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:14 PM   #3

By the time I was finishing up yesterday at the Arboretum, I was sneezing constantly and my eyes were watering there was so much "stuff" in the air. Had to stay inside today so I could get myself back to normal for work tomorrow.

I'll have to check out whatever this new firmware upgrade is. My biggest "wish-I-had" with the E-M5 is a 1/8000 second shutter speed. In good light f4 or, possibly, f2.8 is about as wide open as you can go.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:37 PM   #4

The one with the statue has a great range of color.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:41 PM   #5

So the question is ... 60mm or 75mm to complement the 45mm?

Gears: Olympus Gears including OM-D E-M5 and E-M1 with 12-50mm, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 25 and 45mm f1.8, 40-150 f3.5-5.6 and MMF2/3 4/3 adapters. Olympus E-30 DSLR, 9-18mm, 12-60mm SWD, 35mm Macro, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm, FL-36R. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, and it is more than enough ... I hope!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:34 PM   #6

I'm trying to minimize my outfit for a trip to see my daughter in NJ that starts on February 25 and that was one question I had to answer for myself. Whatever I am carrying during the day is going to have to fit in the Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag, so I really need to try and keep it at three lenses, whether that's three primes or a combination of zoom and prime lenses, one wide, one "normal" and one tele. One could slip a small-ish lens in the front flap but I usually utilize that space for other stuff.

For this trip, macro is not even going to be a consideration, so of the two, the 75/1.8 is what I will be going with. If one has to decide on which one of these lenses to purchase to complement the 45 the question would be, how important is the macro ability, much smaller size and price of the 60mm Zuiko compared to the more expensive, faster and way better-built 75. The 75 is a piece of art with the hood fitted and a lot of fun to use. The 60mm f2.8 is dust and splash-resistant, so it's not exactly cheaply made.

My obvious four-lens prime setup in terms of spacing between focal lengths, the 12mm f2, 17mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 would be it. The 25-45 spacing is too close for me so I would pair the 25mm f1.4 with the 12mm f2 and 75mm f1.8...... or, maybe, the 60mm.

I'm glad I was in a position to buy both. From a sharpness standpoint, it's a push they're both so good except in the f1.8-2.7 range the 75 goes that the 60 does not.

There....12, 25 and 60mm. Only one more week to change my mind at least a half-dozen more times....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:44 PM   #7

Whewww! I would never be able to decide. I would have to take everything in the Retro 7.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8

The Think Tank City Walker 10 is the bigger bag I'd use and would get me comfortably to 4 lenses. I'm just not sure if I want to carry that big a bag or deal with that many lenses on this trip. I don't want Kelsey to think she's just tagging along while I take pictures. The City Walker 10 bag is not THAT much bigger compared to the Retrospective 5, but we're going to be doing a lot of walking, especially in Washington D.C. and the day in NY.

The other think I have to think about is, we've got tickets to see "The Book of Mormon" Friday evening. No car to leave it, so what happens with the bag? The smaller Retrospective 5 seems like the better option.....maybe I'll take the 9-18, 45 and 75-300. That'd be some kind of range, and it fits in the smaller bag.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:48 AM   #9

I have a Retro 5 and Retro 7, for me (FT lenses) the R-7 gets most of my carry. I've not seen a City Walker but it looks like a 'neat' m43 system bag.

If you haven't seen it yet

...here is the rumor http://tinyurl.com/ad9s7ynhttp://tinyurl.com/ad9s7yn blurb on the EM-5 update and 'THE LCD CRACK serial numbers'.

My E-3 has been 'no longer dust & splash proof' for 3-yrs; ya would'a thought Olympus might learn a better way to fasten the LCD after all the other models that have broken.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:32 AM   #10

I remember the images you posted, then showed me live and in person, of the back LCD problem on your E-3 and I've seen all the posts regarding the tiny cracks that have developed in some of the E-M5 LCD frames. So far not on mine, but I will check your link above and see what the range of serial numbers is.

The City Walker 10 is a neat bag with all sorts of storage spaces to keep lenses, accessories and just about anything else. Sitting next to a Retro 7 bag, it is not as tall so it looks smaller, but the interior seems as big, just laid out differently. There's a body/lens cavity area and two additional spaces on either end big enough for two extra lenses. I can easily pack the E-M5 with one lens fitted and up to 6 additional lenses, including both the two biggest 75mm f1.8 and 75-300 M. Zuikos with lots of room left for extra batteries, cards/cell phone/wallet, etc, etc.

If I pack it completely full with all the photo and extra stuff, it can start to feel like what my DSLR bag packed with an E-5, 12-60 and 50-200 and 9-18 used to feel like so I prefer not to do that. I'll use the City Walker bag to transport everything on the plane and pack my Retro 5 bag empty in the suitcase so I'll take several lenses and will decide what I want to pack in the Retro 5 bag each day depending on the weather/where we're going, etc.