Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Some Macros with the MAL-1 and Raynox DCR-250

Zig's thread inspired me to finally take this thing out for a drive. I have a feeling that the light would be more useful with a shorter lens (I was using the Panny 45-200 to get "extreme" closeups).

The Raynox is powerful and sharp and inexpensive but kind of frustrating at times. When I bought it, I thought I'd be using it with my superzoom to take shots of insects and flowers and the like; but the magnification is extreme, DOF very shallow, and it's pretty tough to focus. The bug would have to be dead (or really patient) for me to have a chance to focus on it. It might be more practical with a wider lens.

Anyhow, here are some tests with a few random things I found on my kitchen table. I used a tripod and shutter remote. F/8-11ish and higher ISO (I forgot to set lower until a while though shooting).

Some large salt crystals.

Tape Dispenser.

Water Drop. You can see the reflections of the MAL lights on the front of the drop. I think I'm focused more on the placemat than the side of the drop here.

Illuminati.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:02 AM   #2

cool series, I like the Illuminati shot the best. Wasn't aware of the raynox before.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
cool series, I like the Illuminati shot the best. Wasn't aware of the raynox before.

It's pretty neat. People (other than me) have gotten some pretty incredible results that you can find around the web. It's only about 75 bucks and can work on just about any lens. They also make a DCR-150 that provides less magnification (maybe a good thing).

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Mar 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:56 AM   #4

I used the 150 with my Panasonic FZ50 digicam. Very effective. Lots of people use them for extreme magnification work.

The one thing they demand is, being able to get physically very close to the subject. There's no backing off to establish any amount of working distance. Once attached to the lens you have to be very very close to the subject or you cannot use it, which is why other types of accessories like extension tubes are still very viable options to have.

The 75-300 M. Zuiko only focuses to 5 feet. If I wanted to get to close to a bloom that happens to be 2-4 feet into a bed somewhere like at the Arboretum, I cannot step into that bed (unless I want to be kicked out) and use a Raynox closeup lens, so I'll fit the Kenko 10mm or 16mm extension tubes (or both if I want to maximize the magnification), which allows me to get in close from 2-4 feet away. At that distance the Raynox is useless.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:21 PM   #5

Looks good if you are taking a pic of something on a flat plane because it sure looks like DOF is extremely narrow.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Looks good if you are taking a pic of something on a flat plane because it sure looks like DOF is extremely narrow.

You're right, but I also think the DOF will widen if I use it on a wider lens. It won't produce the same magnification then, obviously.