Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:23 AM   #1

Default New Software From Olympus- Always Hopeful, BUT....

...also realistic. I am assuming Automatic tone adjustment function is just a prettier, fancier way of saying Auto Gradation. I learned some time ago to go into any new software produced by Olympus expecting little so I'll never be disappointed. It will be several hours from now before I have a chance to download and see how little different Olympus Viewer 3 really is. Maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised, but I'm figuring not...

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/software

As long as I am here, from yesterday with the E-M5 and 14-150 M. Zuiko..

They're opening up now..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:30 AM   #2

.....really nice images!

I can't get out for getting out, it is amazing the list Bonnie has and 'how important it is'. Again today we are OUT & ABOUT and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I will need to look at the 'Viewer' program when I get some time.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:35 AM   #3

For the life of me, other than a new look I have no idea what they did to warrant a completely new Viewer 3. This might have well just been an updated version of Viewer 2.

The Automatic tone adjustment function they're pushing in the text is simply the same tone curve tool with no better highlight or shadow recovery than Viewer 2. Still no way to straighten an image in the raw converter. I ran several 16MP E-M5 files and many "Best Quality" files were less than 4 megapixels in size....a little more.....well, no, quite a bit more compression than I want, especially if I have to first spit out a jpeg, straighten it if required then re-save yet again with even more data being thrown out unless your willing to work with bloated tiff files, which I refuse to do.

Oh, but the colors are wonderful

Good thing I never get my hopes up too much. Best thing about it? It's free. Not much else sells it to be honest.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:42 AM   #4

.........I downloaded it while out to the mall with Bonnie so I will install it just to stay current with hardware firmware updates, given there are/will be any.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:56 AM   #5

well I downloaded it

odd that it installs next to the Olympus viewer 2 instead of replacing it, I don't know but usually when I download a new version of something I expect it to replace the existing version.

oh well off to uninstall oly viewer 2...
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:22 AM   #6

I didn't install Viewer 3, I just updated Viewer 2 and I see the auto tone curve and I guess it is what it says, it does it's own thing unless you take it out of auto. I did notice after updating that whatever picture I click on, I get a window in the picture telling me it is updating the picture. That never happened before, at least not that I can remember.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:58 AM   #7

Those pictures are beautiful, love the colors but what call my attention is the sharpness of it, did you apply sharpens in PP??

Thank you for posting the info about the new Olympus Viewer, I had no idea it is available and I'm having problems with my E-M5 RAW files opening in PS CS5, I'm converting the files in with Adobe DNG Converted, I'll give it a try.

Regards.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:15 PM   #8

There was one last ACR update for CS5 that does support E-M5 raw files. Sounds like you might want to do that update. You should not have to convert to DNG.

Thanks for the comment about the images. Those were all run through ACR in Photoshop CS6 and yes, I do sharpen in ACR. It does a very good job.