Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1

Default 75-300 M. Zuiko and 16mm Kenko tube..

One of those great days for shooting closeups. Mostly cloudy, so no deep shadows..

Captured a few with the 14-150 too..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:40 AM   #2

....the Kenkos & 75-300 is quit a combination for some super special images. How do you determine what combination of the Kenkos you want to use.

The 14-150 continues to amaze me. It was a perfect light day, I had another day Bonnie needed transportation.

I did get to Village Creek yesterday, where we would have gone a couple weeks ago, and it is most disappointing. The creek is way low and the wildflower areas don't exists but for the signs. This year in the parks will be difficult if we don't get rain.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:18 AM   #3

Hi Bob.

I've not yet used all 26mm combined of the two Kenko tubes. After having primarily used the 10mm tube, I have switched to the 16 to give me a little more extension and magnification. It also means I lose a little bit of working distance compared to using the 10mm tube.

With the 75-300 it's really not all that important, but if I wanted to use them with the 40-150 or the 14-150 M. Zuikos I'd have to pick a little more closely. I can remember using the Olympus EX25 tube with the 40-150 four-thirds Zuiko, but in the 40-60mm or so range the 25mm of extension was too much to even focus and you had to use it within the 100-150mm range to have any working distance. Kenko breaking the almost same range into two shorter tubes will help a lot with shorter tele zooms or primes.

Yes, it was a perfect day for shooting, but I need to get out of the "f8 rut" with the 14-150. I was looking at all the images I have captured and most all of them are at this one aperture. I find myself adjusting either the shutter speed or ISO around it. In the lower range f5.6 should be, and is good to use.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:16 AM   #4

Quote:
.................most all of them are at this one aperture
I looked at the gallery and did notice the 'f8' length, I supposed you wanted the detail it brings which I do like.

Typically I choose a more shallow DOF and sometimes wish I hadn't. I should make more files of a same subject with different camera settings to learn which & what I like best. There are few times I do that.

Of course, I use the EX-25 a lot, it does make sense the way Kenko splits the set. If I remember correctly Olympus made the EX-25 specifically to match up with the 50mm and 25mm was/is ideal for that lens.

Looks like a bit more rain today.........

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:29 AM   #5

Very nice images Greg. Since I'm not anywhere near your skill level, I always wondered what the benefit is of using extension tubes when you can just put the 35mm macro lens on and shoot away. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe the ability to shoot macro from a distance???
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6

That is a big one James. Several of those blooms were 2-4 feet into beds and I could not have gotten physically close enough for either the 35 or 60mm macros to get as close as I did with the 75-300 and the tube. If the blooms are not just right on the edge of a bed in a place like where these were and you don't have the lenses to get at them, you're out of luck.

The other difference is, the look/compression/magnification of a scene you get when zoomed to something like 175mm with the tube vs. 35 or 60mm.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7

I see that now, a little more dramatic effect. Thanks.