Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:14 AM   #1

Default nearing the end of feeder season

Well temps at night are staying above freezing which means spring is starting to come around. Soon as the current suet block is done I will call it a season as I don't care for fighting the squirrels.

All taken with E-PL2, DMW-MA1, and FT 70-300. Shutter priority 1/400.

female downy wood pecker;

P4069661 by ramcewan, on Flickr

P4069662_1 by ramcewan, on Flickr

male downy woodpecker - was a windy day and you can see this bird clinging to the branch with claws wrapped around a little nub of a side branch. You can also see the tree's leaf buds starting to open in this shot.

P4069675 by ramcewan, on Flickr

and the woodpeckers' shadow the white breasted nuthatch

P4069669 by ramcewan, on Flickr

and in it's more natural pose (upside down)

P3319618 by ramcewan, on Flickr

P3319609 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Apr 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:34 AM   #2

Nice shots RA.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:59 AM   #3

Those woodpeckers are beautiful. I can just imagine what the temptation that feed is for the squirrels, and they can seem to get at anything, no matter what you try and do to stop it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4

James and Greg thanks for checking them out.

I did an experiment that I have been meaning to try now since I upgraded my tripod. Instead of using a long lens (the 70-300) to get up close to the birds I decided to put the camera up close and use a remote wireless shutter control.

So I put the 45mm f1.8 on the camera and positioned it in the tree, like this;

Untitled by ramcewan, on Flickr

you can see the wireless receiver which conveniently fits in the hot shoe and connects via standard rm-uc1 cable.

downside to this is that it is a one shot and done technique as the shutter sound scares the bird off

Out of two attempts this is the only shot I got, but look at the detail! (p.s. this is f8, 1/400, ISO 200 btw)

P4079681_1 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Apr 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:32 PM   #5

Default one more with the 45mm

camera in different position

P4079694_3 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:45 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure you can turn off the sound of the shutter but I don't know how much quieter it will be.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:35 PM   #7

Great pictures, I like the upside down shots.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:58 PM   #8

Ra, looking at your captures here and thinking back on your early attempts, you have really improved your techinique. No more shooting through the windows. I really like the downy shots. And the setting up the camera in the trees is ambitious, adventurous and looks like fun. Good stuff.

I set out to capture the action at our newest feeder, a Yankee Dooler(?) Spinner. Supposed to be "squirrel proof". Lots of diners as my wife worked nearby in the yard. I grabbed my pl1 with the 40-150 placed the Adirondack chair nearby and got action filled shots like this one...
Attached Images

KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I'm pretty sure you can turn off the sound of the shutter but I don't know how much quieter it will be.
I've got the sound turned off, but there is still the actual shutter firing off, remember even though they don't have mirrors these cameras do have physical shutters (I believe ribbon type), that and the dust reduction system together make a noise that doesn't seem to be mute-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Great pictures, I like the upside down shots.

Marcelo
Thanks Marcelo - the nuthatch's are one of my favorite birds, they almost seem to prefer being upside down whether on the feeder or working a tree. When they're on a tree they really blend in with the bark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Ra, looking at your captures here and thinking back on your early attempts, you have really improved your techinique. No more shooting through the windows. I really like the downy shots. And the setting up the camera in the trees is ambitious, adventurous and looks like fun. Good stuff.

I set out to capture the action at our newest feeder, a Yankee Dooler(?) Spinner. Supposed to be "squirrel proof". Lots of diners as my wife worked nearby in the yard. I grabbed my pl1 with the 40-150 placed the Adirondack chair nearby and got action filled shots like this one...

Thanks Kula - the lighting has also improved as the season has gone on. Shooting in dim winter sun against mostly snowy backgrounds can be a particular challenge. Now that the background again is approximating neutral grey I'm not having to mess with EV offsets.

Keep trying with the seed feeder, the one thing I can recommend is positioning it so that there are some branches around the feeder for them to stop on before getting to the feeder. If you look at where my bird feeder is it is inside the tree surrounded by branches, this gives the birds a spot to perch on before they get on the feeder. It also provides some safety for the birds which encourages them to loiter a little more. When the feeder is out in the open bird hunting raptors like the sharp shinned hawk can swoop in and grab a bird. My father in law has told me of seeing a few birds taken this way on his feeder which is on a pole in the yard. Being inside a tangle of branches helps to prevent these sneak attacks and gives the birds some security.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:35 AM   #10

Well, that is an adventure setup withe the wireless trigger. I would have one but it just won't do for butterflies and I've no birds around here at the house.

I'm glad spring is beginning for you, we've already had a couple 80F days here, it won't be long until the dreaded 3-digit temps again for us.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote