Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:07 PM   #1

Default E-PL1 Macro Lens for jewelry pictures?

Just bought a E-PL1 with the 14-42 lens.
Been playing around with it trying to take pictures of jewelry.
Haven't completely figured out how to get the clearest pictures yet.

I'm thinking I need to buy another lens 50mm Macro?

Read a little about using Minolta MD etc. 50mm lens with an adapter mount.
What about a 50mm macro zoom lens? Years ago had one of these on my Minolta for close-ups.

Picture below is a watch taken with my Sony DSC-H10, finding it a bit more difficult to duplicate a clear shot with the PL1.
Attached Images

Sven123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:02 AM   #2

That type photography really needs a macro lens to get the results you want, with an ability to lock the camera still and stop down to maximize your depth of field.

Sure, any 50-60mm macro lens used with the appropriate adapter would work fine. So would either micro four-thirds system macro, the 60mm f2.8 M. Zuiko or 45mm f2.8 Panasonic-Leica, both of which will get you to life-size reproduction with no adapters needed, with autofocus and every other feature offered by the camera.

Here's a very good review of the 60mm f2.8 Macro Zuiko, used with the E-M5..

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/09/21...-60-2-8-macro/
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3

I used a 4/3rds 35mm Oly macro lens on my E-PL2 for macro closeups. It's a very sharp lens and would be ideal for your work but you would have to buy a Viltrox 4/3 to M4/3 adaptor. You can pick up clean used models on eBay for 149.00 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-35mm...item2c6deb8ba2
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4

Yep, the 35mm f3.5 Zuiko Macro is one stunning lens for the price. Better than even the 50mm f2 Zuiko in terms of being able to go to 1:1 without additional tubes. The 50mm f2 Zuiko macro only goes to one-half life-size on it's own. You need the Olympus EX25 tube to get the 50/2 to 1:1.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:54 PM   #5

Getting your hands on a quality macro lens will get you the image quality you seek. The M.Z 60mm /2.8 Macro sounds like it is a really sharp lens. And it has the benefit of the longer focal length so the front element is not "touching" your subject. Easier to get your lighting nice and even without a camera right on the subject.

You can go with older film macro, or even get a good 4/3 lens. But if you are having to buy 'new to you', then add up the costs (lens plus adapter) and then look back at the M.Z 60 Macro. Might still be a greater cost, but you get a really sharp lens with full function with your camera.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I used a 4/3rds 35mm Oly macro lens on my E-PL2 for macro closeups. It's a very sharp lens and would be ideal for your work but you would have to buy a Viltrox 4/3 to M4/3 adaptor. You can pick up clean used models on eBay for 149.00 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-35mm...item2c6deb8ba2
To stay on budget, went with your suggestions. Managed to find both items in excellent to like new shape, outside ebay. For $158, shipped.
Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:56 PM   #7

You are welcome. You will like that lens and it is considered a bargain based on its sharpness and image quality. I have since sold my E-PL2 but I use that lens on my Olympus E-3 without the adaptor. Do use a tripod when taking your jewelry photos as it will help bring out the detail much better. I have always used manual focus for close up shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven123 View Post
To stay on budget, went with your suggestions. Managed to find both items in excellent to like new shape, outside ebay. For $158, shipped.
Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:58 PM   #8

The lens came in as well the book Oly Pen E-PL1 for Dummies. The book is an excellent teaching tool............

Here are some earring macro shots taken with the 35mm lens, without a tripod. Almost every shot taken is 100% usable.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:22 PM   #9

Excellent! You've made a good decision with that lens.

I too have the ZD 35mm and use it on my P3.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote