Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 7, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1

Default Week with old Konica Hexanon 57/1.7

Oops, title mistake. 1.4 not 1.7.

Had a week off last week with not much going. Decided it would be fun to use this "dirty old" lens exclusively to see if we couldn't become friends. I had gotten it at a goodwill last summer, got frustrated that I couldn't get good images wide open focusing on the LCD, and basically shelved it.

From what I can tell it was one of the oldest variants of this specific lens, big and heavy as a tank. It's in fantastic shape though, and I'm shocked at how good the images look if you don't insist that aperture be locked at 1.4 as I was. It probably has less CA than my native lenses (I didn't do any corrections for that here while I often do for the 20,14,or 45-200). The focusing ring felt tight and awkward when I put it on but it loosened up as I used it. It's not surprising to me that most of my best shots were at the end of the week as opposed to the beginning.

Some of my favorites--I tired to take a variety of shots. I knew that it would be neat for "closeups" and isolation using wide apertures, but I was surprised how much I liked it for landscapes.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; May 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2013, 10:35 PM   #2

Some more. Sorry for so many images--I'm kind of excited.

Old May 7, 2013, 10:37 PM   #3

Finally some low-light "portraits," so to speak.

Old May 8, 2013, 7:27 AM   #4

Nice shots, especially the squirrel, and a good way to force yourself to get to know the lens. It is important to force yourself to use equipment you may have been neglecting. I tend to think each lens will do well in at least one way, some do well in many ways and those are the ones we all want or have. Others take some time to get to know, once that time is invested you will know when to pull it out.

The Konica Hexanon lenses were really very sharp at the time they were on the market (from what I've read, I was a little kid at the time, lol). Mounted on a micro four thirds camera you are only using the center 1/2 of the lens image which means you are taking the sharpest part of a very sharp lens. It also means that any corner vignetting or CA is outside the sensor area.

I have a 50mm f1.8 that I still keep even though I have the M. Zuiko 45mm f1.8. As spring is here now I'll probably have it out again as it gets closer focus then the 45mm.

Last edited by ramcewan; May 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 7:41 AM   #5

A diamond in the rough. Nice shots Sammy. You see so many Oly OM lenses on eBay that are going for peanuts. Geez, for what they cost it might be worth trying one out with an adaptor.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6

Excellent series...the results in terms of sharpness is a mixed but overall the images look real good. I like you compositions as well. I have a number of old lenses I've bought ever since I got my very first m4/3 camera, the Panny G1. Most showed disappointing results, so they are all collecting dust. I need to put them all on eBay.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 9:07 AM   #7

Thanks. I'm certainly no expert on judging "sharpness" but they look okay-ish to me (f1.4 is definitely soft though). It could also certainly be that I just missed focus. I like how the out of focus areas look though.

I've found a few old lenses just looking around at thrift stores and such. A few of been pretty bad, and this one is my favorite so far. Most I certainly wouldn't use for much past experimenting, but for me that's worth the search+20 bucks or so for an adapter.

Ram--the squirrel is probably my favorite as well. I like how it's composed, but also I'm pretty proud of myself for being able to manually focus on a moving object for about the first time ever.

James, I think it's definitely worth trying out. I just wouldn't put one on to go shoot a family member's wedding or anything . . . can be hit or miss (at least for me).

If anyone's curious, here's what it looks like on the camera. Makes the set-up a little front heavy, but I think it's a classic look. The lens even came with the original back cap which I have safe up on a shelf.

Old May 9, 2013, 9:23 AM   #8

Fantastic shots Sammy,

The pictures are very sharp and the bokeh is beautiful, very smooth.

My favorite is the second picture.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:46 AM   #9

.....exactly all-of-what Marcelo said. I like, like and like the second picture.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote