Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Default Samyang mirror lens

Yeah, I know that mirror lenses in general don't get very good reviews, but does anyone have any experience with this:

Not my first choice for a lens with reach but could be interesting?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:45 PM   #2

It would also require a four-thirds to Micro adapter to work as well, but it should do about as well as any mirror lens would. The little doughnuts they create in out of focus areas are quite "different".

It it's as good as their fisheye (Samyang, Rokinon, Bower, etc), it'll be quite good.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:56 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It would also require a four-thirds to Micro adapter to work as well ...
Actually you just need a T-mount to micro four thirds adapter which I am sure Cameta would swap for the T-mount to four thirds adapter in the package if you gave them a call.

That aside this is one way to get you to 500mm in a compact package. Samyang also makes a 500mm non-mirror lens in T-mount for around the same price.

For me personally, I usually shoot wildlife with long lenses and the lack of AF on something like this would make it less useful. I used several manual focus 300mm lenses and unless I was shooting a fixed spot like a bird feeder it was very hard for me to grab focus and shoot before the animal moved.

If you've got other purposes for this lens then yeah sure go for it, for the money you're not going to get much better. Even going with a long legacy lens you're going to either be carrying a very long stick - see the samyang 500mm T-mount: you can find similar legacy lenses on e-bay very cheaply - or if you want to go mirror lens this one or pay a great deal more for something like the Tamron SP 500mm F8 Tele Macro CATADIOPTRIC mirror which is a pretty top-of-the-line optic.
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote