Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:41 PM   #1

Default People shots from the Arts Festival.

Kind of a prequel to the last picture thread I created . . . it was kind of overcast which made the fountain look not quite as majestic as I was hoping, so I tried just taking some shots of the people enjoying the day. I had the 45-200 on, which seems better at this sort of thing (most of the time) than what I had originally gotten it for. A little more mundane than the laser shots, but not something I do all the time (makes me feel a bit creepy).

the Governor of Pennsylvania.

A sudden gust of wind blew all of the water from the fountain onto the orchestra:

Art installation under a bridge:

This last one missed focus. I don't know if it is me or the lens, but the 45-200 seems to just do this to me some times.

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:01 AM   #2

.....all really well done. I really like the B&W images.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Really nice people shots -- you're bolder than I. An inflatable Budda chair now that is precious!
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:38 PM   #4

Schenley Park? Nice-looking place. I love that fountain.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Kind of a prequel to the last picture thread I created . . . it was kind of overcast which made the fountain look not quite as majestic as I was hoping, so I tried just taking some shots of the people enjoying the day. I had the 45-200 on, which seems better at this sort of thing (most of the time) than what I had originally gotten it for. A little more mundane than the laser shots, but not something I do all the time (makes me feel a bit creepy).
This is an interesting way to get into street/people shots - I can never understand how some people are able to do it with a normal lens like the 25 or 17. I guess they must get permission to shoot people, that's a big confidence hurdle I'd have going up toa stranger and asking to take their photo.

Quote:
A sudden gust of wind blew all of the water from the fountain onto the orchestra:
this is my favorite of the bunch - reminds me of the scene in the titanic where the band keeps playing on.

Quote:
This last one missed focus. I don't know if it is me or the lens, but the 45-200 seems to just do this to me some times.
it's not you, the 45-200 will do that sometimes.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
This is an interesting way to get into street/people shots - I can never understand how some people are able to do it with a normal lens like the 25 or 17. I guess they must get permission to shoot people, that's a big confidence hurdle I'd have going up toa stranger and asking to take their photo.

this is my favorite of the bunch - reminds me of the scene in the titanic where the band keeps playing on.

it's not you, the 45-200 will do that sometimes.
Yeah, I just had that lens on and I was up on a high concrete pedestal above most of the people, and there wasn't much else going on to shoot . . .

It might be in my imagination, but it seems like most of the 45-200 shots that "miss" for me are when I'm trying to focus on something far away. Maybe I'm just not that picky, but most of the close to medium distance portrait types of shots I've taken with it look pretty good and sharp to me. Things a distance off are more hit or miss. I get that people think the long end IQ isn't that great, but I could be at the wide end shooting at something on the horizon and have the same types of issues.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:21 PM   #7

Sammy - beyond the obvious things like making the focus target the smallest possible (14x) and putting it on the most contrast-y thing you can that is at the same distance as the subject you are trying to focus I am not sure what else to tell you about the "misses".

I think the thing with the 45-200 in my experience was that it reported focus lock when it was in fact out of focus more often than other lenses. Other lenses I have hunted more and would fail to fire because of not achieving lock but the 45-200 just seemed to say "good enough" and report lock. Obviously it is the camera sensor reporting lock and not the lens so I can't really explain how the lens influenced the sensor beyond the fact that it is a system.

Anyways it is a good lens for what you've done, I have some excellent portrait shots of my daughter and her cheer teammates (not public) that I took from a distance with the 45-200 while she was waiting for the results to be announced. Having a long lens can sometimes allow you to capture "real" scenes that fade when the subject knows they're being photographed.