Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:44 PM   #1

Default Really Nice E-M5 Profile

Someone over in the DPReview forum pointed me to this profile list for the E-M5..

http://www.ephotozine.com/downloads/...ofiles-448/p-1

I loaded the one called "OM-D E-M5 LB Glass Optic Daylight". Toggling between the Adobe profile and this one in Adobe Camera Raw, the colors just pop with this new profile. Greens, blues, purples....all of them. Here are a few I reworked after loading the profile.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:17 AM   #2

Quote:
the colors just pop with this new profile
Really does...

I've wondered why Lantana (last one here) is so difficult to photograph, it almost always looks out of focus to me. Few images of it, for me, ever show sharp detail...... then one day I realized that Lantana does not have any sharp lines in the 'bloomage', nothing is the bloom set is flat.

It all is rounded and that makes a difference in how light is refracted and how it needs to be seen and photographed. Now that I understand how to see the bloom detail it is a whole 'nuther' matter.

The image above is composed ideally, it shows the detail beautifully.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 30, 2013 at 6:55 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:54 AM   #3

I know what you mean about Lantana. It is a very rounded design.

The purples and pinks in the crape myrtles were looking fine until I applied this profile. Now, the versions with the Adobe profile look muted. "Velvia-like" is how I would explain it. Here's an image where I was comparing the greens. This first image is using the Adobe profile..

Same image run through the Olympus Viewer program, and colors are not different enough to even be worth mentioning. The sky is washed out because Viewer cannot recover a lick of detail in parts of the image that are even near-clipping..

And last with the new profile. I kept all of the other sliders the same as used in the first image above. All I did was click on the new profile. The difference may not be as dramatic here as when viewing them on the web page. After first clicking between the two you can click on one and then the other for an instant switch back & forth and the difference in the greens is obvious.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:25 AM   #4

That first picture is truly beautiful...I love it! The new profile certainly makes a big difference.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5

Thanks Tullio. 75-300 M. Zuiko and the Kenko 10mm tube. The new profile really brought out the color variations in that bloom.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:31 AM   #6

Greg - a good profile is nice to have handy to try out, I agree these shots do pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Really does...

I've wondered why Lantana (last one here) is so difficult to photograph, it almost always looks out of focus to me. Few images of it, for me, ever show sharp detail...... then one day I realized that Lantana does not have any sharp lines in the 'bloomage', nothing is the bloom set is flat.

It is all is rounded and that makes a difference in how light is refracted and how it needs to be seen and photographed. Now that I understand how to look for the bloom detail it is a whole 'nuther' matter.

The image above is composed ideally, it shows the detail beautifully.
Ah that is very interesting as I was shooting this blue flower which has similar structure to Lantana and having trouble getting a good in focus shot. Your points make it clear why I was having trouble.

P6221253 by ramcewan, on Flickr