Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Default Sebago Lake in Maine

Spent the weekend up in Maine on Sebago lake at my in-laws camp and brought along the camera.

Their spot is on a cove which has a pair of resident common loons. They are funny birds who laugh and make other calling noises as it protects it's territory from intruders. It's unclear whether there is a relationship to the term loony as the laugh, especially on a quite night can remind you of a crazy person or if it is just a name given to them that coincidentally lines up with the word loony as derived from lunatic. They live on lakes in the spring, summer and fall where they raise young every few years and then spend winter out in the open ocean. They have red eyes and are larger than ducks, probably around the size of a turkey. Zuiko 70-300mm

Common Loon on Sebago Camp Cove by ramcewan, on Flickr

Common Loon on Sebago Camp Cove by ramcewan, on Flickr

A few sunset shots taken from the lake looking west to the hills around Sebago and New Hampshire's white mountains beyond.

A multi-shot stitch made by using P mode with the shutter held down to lock exposure as I panned the camera in portrait mode with the 14-54mm @14, stitched in Microsoft ICE

Sebago Sunset Panorama by ramcewan, on Flickr

A zoom in on the right side showing the Presidential range in silhouette, 14-54 @ 54mm with white balance adjusted to enhance the glow of the setting sun.

White Mt Sunset from Sebago II by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:30 PM   #2

Really nice!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:20 PM   #3

I've only driven by the lake once. Have had the beer more than once. Great sunset shot. I definitely need more practice at that type of shot. The water looks great, while still getting the sky right.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:33 AM   #4

nice sunset colors. I think I personally try to over-"fix" the colors in post. This whole white balance thing doesn't seem to be my strong suit.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:18 AM   #5

Bob, Drew and Sammy thanks for checking them out and your kind words.

I can't take credit for getting the color's right, all credit goes to the programming Olympus has built into the camera and the post processing software After Shot Pro which I have grown to love for it's simplicity and built in capabilities.

The panorama was built from straight out of the camera JPGs combined in MS ICE.

The White Mt. Sunset was processed from the RAW file in ASP. I initially ended up with this image, which I liked

White Mt Sunset from Sebago by ramcewan, on Flickr

but then I changed the white balance to the preset of "sunny" which is very similar to the sunset scene mode available on the camera or in Olympus Viewer to achieve the warmer glow. I actually really like both but found the warmer one just a little bit more interesting, by minimizing the blue it makes the image much more about shades of orange and to me that's a sunset, but like I said I like both.

I will also just again echo how damn sharp this 14-54mm is... the distant mountains are around 40-45 miles from where we were when I shot this and we were lucky to have it be so clear that the 14-54mm could shine like it did.

White Mt Sunset from Sebago II by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:29 PM   #6

I really like the first version of that image. Beautiful. Great-looking three-toned silhouette separating the sky from water.

You think that 14-54 is nice, you should try a 50-200mm f2.8-3.5, either version.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I really like the first version of that image. Beautiful. Great-looking three-toned silhouette separating the sky from water.

You think that 14-54 is nice, you should try a 50-200mm f2.8-3.5, either version.
Ditto.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

yes I have seen what the 50-200mm can do, for wildlife it is gem, especially when combined with the 1.4x TC. But for me out of the budget. Was hoping to see them drop in price used but the EM-1 seems to indicate that the 50-200mm will continue to command a lofty 4 figure price tag as it finds new use on a OMD that can focus it.

The question always is though can you get good results with the new m43 zooms at higher f stop because now you have access to usable high ISO range?

i.e. does the new Sony sensor in the latest generation allow the 75-300mm to take photos at f6.0 and ISO 3200 that previous Olympus sensors could only achieve at f4.0?

I tend to think the answer is yeah, of course they can, but the new Sony sensor plus the fast lens would allow you to achieve photos in situations that could probably never have been taken with the prior generation. In other words the better lens will still be better because well it is better.

I hear Panasonic will make a weather sealed 150 f2.8 as part of their line. Would be nice I suppose with a TC but even a 2x TC puts you at f5.6 @ 300mm which is no better than a 70-300mm at f5.6.

Seems we will have to wait for a fast tele and self imposed small size restrictions seem to limit how fast anyone is willing to go with a zoom. I'd like to see Olympus go one step further in the current prime line and add a 135 or 150mm f1.8 quickly followed up by a high quality TC to give a fast telephoto for wildlife.

I know my loon pictures would have benefited from an extra stop or two, but then again I'm still on the 12mp sensor

Last edited by ramcewan; Aug 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM.
ramcewan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:20 PM   #9

I like them as well Ramce and I still haven't decided on which software I like the best. After Shot Pro was in the top three and the other two are actually freebies that seem to do whatever I want to do with pics. I'm not as advanced as some of the other guys so I never have that "I wish it could do....."