Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:16 PM   #1

Default Question about Mirror-less and what camera to buy

Curious with all of the mirror less cameras how do you decide between Panasonic and Olympus for micro four thirds and how does the Fuji XE, Xpro mirror less fit the picture.

The costs are pretty equal.
TheDoctorWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:40 PM   #2

Personal taste. There are some obvious differences (in-lens stabilization vs. in-body), or great video (Panasonic) vs. ok video (Olympus) that can move you in one direction vs. another. The Fuji system is really nice and utilizes the slightly bigger aps-c sensor, then there's the full 35mm frame-size sensor in the new Sony models to choose from. I'm afraid there is a good reason for choosing any of the available options. It just depends on what you're looking for.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:16 PM   #3

There are some other considerations:

- How many lenses are available for a specific vendor (i.e. About 40 for m4/3, including Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma, Rokinon ... And not including Canon, Nikon, Sony if you use an adapter ... and manual control). I do not know about Fuji (you can probably) and as for the Sony Mirrorless FF, only a small amount of them are/will be available in the next few months.

- What kind of photography do you want to do? Fuji got a very good reputation for street photography. the Sony Alpha 7/7r is an unknown quantity for now and Panasonic/Olympus probably offer the most mature system (lenses,accessories,etc...)

- And the obvious ... what kind of budget?

The people in this forum will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Gears: Olympus Gears including OM-D E-M5 and E-M1 with 12-50mm, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 25 and 45mm f1.8, 40-150 f3.5-5.6 and MMF2/3 4/3 adapters. Olympus E-30 DSLR, 9-18mm, 12-60mm SWD, 35mm Macro, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm, FL-36R. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, and it is more than enough ... I hope!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorWhat View Post
Curious with all of the mirror less cameras how do you decide between Panasonic and Olympus for micro four thirds and how does the Fuji XE, Xpro mirror less fit the picture.

The costs are pretty equal.
In addition to the good advice already offered, you may want to visit Thom Hogan's mirror less camera website:http://www.sansmirror.com/

He writes about and reviews all things having to do with mirror less cameras sold by Canon, Fugi, Leica, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic.

Each of the brands have their features and limitations. It really is a matter of analyzing your style of photography and what features are important to you.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5

If you're going to go the Olympus route, check out the refurbished deals at cameta. They're good as new from what I can tell, and you might be able to sneak in another lens for the same budget.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:18 PM   #6

Good point by Sammy, I've bought a few lenses from Cameta over the years and indeed, they looked brand new to me and Cameta extends the 90 day warranty to one year which would be the warranty of any new Olympus lens or camera.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:25 PM   #7

Thanks for all the responses.
TheDoctorWhat is offline   Reply With Quote