Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:08 AM   #1

Default Olympus Camera Profiles

In ramcewan's "LR5 ... I think I like it" thread Greg mentions Adobe has now added Olympus camera profiles. Sure enough, after upgrading to LR 5.3 there they were! Just like magic! I've never used profiles so I'm excited.

Here are examples of a photo comparing the raw image to the various profiles (excluding portrait, didn't seem like the right image for that).

First the raw image followed by the profiles muted, natural and vivid. There is also a portrait profile but this didn't seem like the proper image to use it.

I learn something new from this forum every day. Thanks!
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Nice. I'm going to have to go back through the "archives," and find some old shots where I still have the in-camera JPG to make some comparisons.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:48 AM   #3

Compared to the Huelight profiles, the Olympus profiles in Adobe Camera raw loaded in Photoshop CC (should be the same as Lightroom) are a little more contrasty. I think I'm gonna pick up the Huelight E-M1 profiles tonight and see how they work on a few E-M1 files I processed yesterday from a Sunday trip to the Arboretum.

The images below were processed using the "Natural" profile. It's amazing the detail the E-M1 sensor captures. Being early morning there was a great opportunity to do a lot of against the light shooting to see how the camera/lens handled less than optimum lighting. I think the Huelight profiles will provide a less contrasty starting point compared to the Adobe-created profiles, which I simply adjusted to taste after applying the profile as a starting point.

One thing's for sure, the 12-40 is one sharp lens across the image field. No worrying about corner performance like you have to with so many of the micro zooms, especially at the widest end. It's every bit as good optically as the 12-60mm f2.8-4 Digital Zuiko.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:56 PM   #4

Whew! I have such a trek still ahead, but I am willing to learn. I will work, I promise myself.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Whew! I have such a trek still ahead, but I am willing to learn. I will work, I promise myself.
I'm with you Bob. I do not know how I can have the same camera as Greg but his photos always come out better than mine. And I don't think it's his lens either. Although I'm about ready to drop a grand to find out.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6

Loaded the Huelight E-M1 profiles tonight. Very nice. Much less contrasty than Adobe's E-M1 profiles, give great colors and more latitude in maximizing dynamic range.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:30 AM   #7

love that first shot, greg.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote