Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:49 PM   #1

Default A job I don't want.

As everyone knows, this has been an historically cold Winter with no real end in sight. The usually-bustling Ohio River is almost entirely frozen over with only a narrow strip of open water through the center through which a barge can pass.

If you look carefully near the front of the second barge, you can see a man who gets to break the snow and ice loose from the front of the load.

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:53 PM   #2

Another "take" of this shot where I was playing around with cropping and the "Selenium Tone" preset in LR.

Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:41 PM   #3

Amazing how they keep the center just wide enough for the barges. Doesn't look like there is much wiggle room either. About how thick would you say the ice is? Nice photos BTW. I like the selenium.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Amazing how they keep the center just wide enough for the barges. Doesn't look like there is much wiggle room either. About how thick would you say the ice is? Nice photos BTW. I like the selenium.
I actually saw two have to pass each other going in opposite directions. It must have taken a huge amount of skill and experience to handle the thousands and thousands of pounds with that kind of precision. Sometimes I have problems parallel parking my tiny Mazda.

I don't think it's too too think right now. We've "warmed up" to about 25 degrees today or so, ugh. Back in the deep freeze tomorrow and Tuesday though, going down to -10 or so each night and only hitting 0 (Fahrenheit) for a day or two. The next problems will be the ice damns and flooding when it all starts to break up.

Ugh, we're not used to this whatsoever. This is Pittsburgh, not Crab fisheries in Alaska.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Jan 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:31 AM   #5

Cool shots and interesting narrative.

I was up in Maine over the weekend and the ice is so thick up there on the lakes was so thick people were driving full sized trucks out on the ice to ice fishing huts. The weird part about it was the noise the ice makes as it shifts against the shore, downright eerie.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:19 PM   #6

Oh Sammy ...

You're in the midst of "an historically cold Winter" and we in Oz are having days of +40C to +48C ~ what a contrast

ps: tennis players at the Australian Open last week had +52C [+126F] on the court

Ah - for a bit of cooling ....
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
Oh Sammy ...

You're in the midst of "an historically cold Winter" and we in Oz are having days of +40C to +48C ~ what a contrast

ps: tennis players at the Australian Open last week had +52C [+126F] on the court

Ah - for a bit of cooling ....
Phil
Yuck. That's like airport tarmac temperatures . . .

But hey, we're up to +5 (-15) now this afternoon. It seems almost balmy after trying to start my stubborn car this morning when it was minus eleven out.

I know I shouldn't complain because our friends in Canada/Michigan/New England have it much worse. I won't let that stop me though.