Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Butterflies in The Garden -- Ft Worth, Texas USA

'Butterflies in The Garden', hosted in the Ft Worth Botanical Conservatory is an exhibition of butterflies from Asia, Africa, Central, South and North America. .

Today I went to see what all the fuss is about, it is on the evening TV news and in the local newspapers. Well, this trip was exceptional but for the large people crowd, many of which were 'schools spring break' parents with children, it was really packed ... so i plan to go back before the exhibition closes during 1st week of April.

Today, with the E-M1, I primarily used the Zuiko 50-200 though I did shoot a 1/2 dozen or so with the 70-300/EX-25 and maybe 4 or 5 with the ZD 35mm MACRO. But, the most usable was the 50-200 and when there are many fewer people the 50-200 will again be the answer from my lens arsenal.

So, here are a few of what I saw today.... when I got into the batch there are quite a few I want replaced but not knowing if I will ever again see these I kept what is usable.

...here ya'go and the images are hyper-linked to my Smugmug gallery of them.

...........Yellow Edged Giant Owl... the biggest of the bunch, some were a large as my hand palm

...........Blue Morpho ... another very large butterfly

Blue Morpho .. backside

..........Lacewing

.......... Doris Longwing

...........Small Postman

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 11, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:12 PM   #2

What a collection! Yep, I would imagine spring breakers are overflowing everything this week.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:29 PM   #3

I really like the first one against the bright green background. They all look great though--how close did you have to be for these?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:24 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Just beautiful Bob, just beautiful!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:23 PM   #5

Sammy, the conservatory is a 'tropical' forest..... super high humidity, glass building with of course diffused light (the glass walls are dirty). I saw every kind of camera gear, some had ring-lights, one was a handheld rack mounted bellows with 2 6-inch soft box lighting.

The concourse is a walkway with the plant growth right to the edge, the subject distance is from 4-inch MACRO to 20-feet, it was often difficult to get 50-200 room for the closer shots. Another time and I will also carry the E-P3/35mm MACRO or m40-150 with MEIKE extension tubes.

The butterflies are everywhere, particularly the giants settle on people..... hair, clothing, cameras, the kiddos squeal and have a good time of it.

Light can be bright sunlight to GLARE to subdued to deep shadows from foot to foot depending on where you 'point'.

I want to go back before the exhibition closes when the crowd is not as hectic/bumping/pushy and pay better attention to camera setting..... I know I can do much better than I did for this trip. There are quite a few butterflies that were not seen, a volunteer said some were just roosting in the foliage out of sight probably due to the people crowd, it was a shoulder to shoulder spring-break day. One needs to spend a SLOW stroll with careful looks.

Thanks Steven, I appreciate your comments.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:24 PM   #6

Fantastic work Bob, 4, 5 and 7 are my favorites.

What a great combo for this kind of photography.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:33 AM   #7

Great job Bob and full of color and detail.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:57 PM   #8

Stunning. They are all great and #4 is my fave.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:12 PM   #9

........thanks Alan, #4 (if you don't know) is a Lacewing, one of quite a few different specie to the family which is predominately found in SE Asia according to the reviews I done.

I'm hoping to go again next week and the lacewings will be a sure target, upside down or not, seems there are actually many different butterflies in the family of Lacewing and I shot 4 on the day. One of the things I have read of this family is that they are many different colorations and rather extreme in size variance, small to large. The ones I recognized here are a bit larger than a quarter coin. Fun anyway (to me)!

Here is another, the butterfly was actually hanging upside down and I flipped the image 180 deg for this.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 14, 2014 at 8:12 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:51 PM   #10

Another beautiful shot. The form of the leaf it's resting on is particularly appealing. Like a smooth ocean wave. And thanks for the insight into the Lacewing. So much to learn and so little time.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote