Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:57 PM   #1

Default I do Windows

Here's a shoot of a Salem building with a bit of a checkered past. I suspect some of you have seen the inside of it before. Fortunately, not as a patient, but as moviegoers. The building was used as the set for the 1975 Jack Nicholson award winner"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Built in 1883 the Oregon State Insane Asylum (renamed a few times) fell into disrepair and was deemed structurally unsafe decades ago. Over the past half dozen years or so the building was refurbished and houses a museum and office space (among other uses) for the new adjoining (unseen in the back) Oregon State Hospital.

All E-M1 and Zuiko 12-40. Processed as HDR from 3 images at 2 stops. Images exported from LR into Photoshop or HDR Efex Pro for merging. Back to LR for touch-up and exported to Topaz Detail 3 for sharpening. There may have been some other steps in there but it gets confusing after awhile. I need to get a life. :-)
Attached Images

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:59 PM   #2

Here's some with a better view of the building.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:05 PM   #3

Very nice shots and must cost plenty to keep up the maintenance on that place.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Ditto. Interesting series and certainly a building that would fit right in with "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest."
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:32 PM   #5

........just super images Alan, very well done with HDR at the levels I do like.

BUT,,,,, a hell-of-a-lot more work than I would be willing to do myself, I will stay with desaturated B&W as my specialty PP effort (lol).

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks James. Never thought about the maintenance cost or where it's coming from. Hopefully not my taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Ditto. .... certainly a building that would fit right in with "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest."
Particularly back when the building was in much worse shape. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
........just super images Alan, very well done with HDR at the levels I do like.

BUT,,,,, a hell-of-a-lot more work than I would be willing to do myself, I will stay with desaturated B&W as my specialty PP effort (lol).
Thanks Bob. It is a lot of work and it doesn't always pay off. Part of the reason I do it is because I'm generally not as satisfied with my OOC quality compared to others on this or other sites. Your and Fred's car show photos are incredibly crisp and bright, Greg's photos look like they come from a medium format camera, etc, etc, etc. I've wondered if the images I post should be output differently. For instance, at times I attach an image larger (both dimensionally and file size) than Steve's allows. The website then reduces the file size which might not be the best way to do it. Perhaps I should embed photos? I don't have a SmugMug acct but maybe it'd be worth it. Any ideas on the best way to post and maintain IQ? Anyone?
Old May 2, 2014, 5:25 PM   #7

Why do I have a sudden urge to throw a water fountain through that first shot?

???
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 8:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Why do I have a sudden urge to throw a water fountain through that first shot? ???
I don't know. Do you have any American Indian ancestry?
Old May 2, 2014, 10:04 PM   #9

There are some great details in this building. The way you have captured the windows and the brick work -- very nice. The window bars look like they were designed by someone with an eye for creative flair, rather than just dreary plain old bars.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote