Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Fresh, New Green

Images below captured with the E-M1 and 12-40. I love new, young green vegetation of mid to late (here at least ) Spring. The type subjects below are also good for practicing tricky exposures and processing.

After playing around with and using the Panasonic GX7 for a couple of weeks, picking up the E-M1 and looking through the viewfinder is like opening this huge window for the first time. It's stark, both the viewing difference and the tools in the finder for shooting. The GX7's histogram is so small and cramped compared to the huge, wide histogram in the E-M1. The GX7's in-camera digital level is superior but for manual shooters like I prefer, the E-M1 is hands-down the better camera. After trying manual exposure for a while the better GX7 option for me based on how everything operates was shooting in Aperture Priority.

Both cameras do a certain amount of processing to their raw files for sure. The GX7 files with a default amount of processing in ACR come out looking much more vibrant but also seem to have less dynamic range to work with compared to the E-M1 files, which require a bit more boosting to get to the punchy level of GX7 images. Not necessarily saying one way is better or worse. They just require a different approach.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:53 PM   #2

Love the light, shadow play and color.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 1:36 PM   #3

Very nice Greg, didn't know you had a GX7, thought all Oly.
Old May 1, 2014, 2:24 PM   #4

The GX7 has been this siren all along calling. I really liked (like) my E-P3 and would have liked it even better with a built-in EVF. The GX7 ticks a lot of those boxes and I already had the high-end set of Panasonic lenses. A $200 discount and almost $300 in credit card points finally made it too much to ignore .

The finder is probably about as good as that type finder can be, shoehorned into a body like this and keeping the dimensions down as much as they did. The fact the finder also tilts up is just a plus.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote