Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 10, 2014, 7:12 PM   #1
Default One Near-Disaster Friday at the Air Show

As I crawled around inside the KC-10, I stepped down a steep set of steps to the space where the boom operator works when hooking up to the planes being re-fueled and I had the 7-14 Panasonic mounted on the E-M1 for shooting in the confined space. About half-way down the steps my bag became hooked on the rail and my 12-40mm f2.8 tumbled out of the bag, smashed down the steps and hit at the bottom, a 4-5 foot fall onto surfaces that were, lets just say, not carpeted....and the front lens cap was not mounted...

Fortunately, the hood was on and suffered a pretty good scratch, and the lens took a good hit (but no ding) near the L-fn button and lost a little bit of finish where the zoom ring meets the body. Otherwise, no dings or dents and works perfectly with no apparent issues. The hood even stayed on and the front element is perfect. This is one well-made lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2014, 8:03 PM   #2

Lucky you !

When something like that happen, it seems that the time stop for a while ! I had the same experience with the 50-500 (which is way heavier) ... and only the UV filter was broken
Portfolio: http://agilephotography.deviantart.com/

Gears: Olympus Gears including E-620, OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 25 and 45mm f1.8 and MMF3 4/3 adapters. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm, 35mm Macro, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye and 85mm f1.4, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter ... and it is more than enough ... I hope!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014, 6:44 PM   #3

That is a scary story and a testament to the quality of the lens, glad to hear it was okay and the lens didn't crack the window the boom operator looks through
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote