Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:29 AM   #1
Default .....exposing for highlights, continued learning exercise

Yesterday I went to where 'exposing for highlight' would surely be in order and I really want to learn more for using this technique.

So, I invite critique of my effort..... Be honest & frank! If I've not gotten the direction correct or if I've done marvelously well at it, tell me what you think of these.

I intend to keep working at what Greg & others do so well.

COREL ASPro2 finally includes the E-M1 (along with 40 other cameras) so I am back to shooting RAW and processing now with ASPro2.

For these it was the E-M1 & ZD 14-54, using the histogram and exposing to the highlight areas of the scenes (anyway it was my intention & try)

boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:40 AM   #2

Looks very similar to the type results I get. Just normally exposing a subject like that with no compensation would result in way blown highlights since the overall scene is below what you'd call the medium grey all camera meters are calibrated to record, so shooting manually and using the histogram as my exposure guide just makes way more sense than relying on the meter over/underexposure warnings. I don't even notice what the over/underexposure warning numbers say anymore. As long as the maximum amount of information, including as much highlight detail as possible, is included in the file I know I'll wind up with a good final image. There's no real guesswork and/or relying on experience like you used to have when shooting film where you couldn't see the results until after you received the prints back.

I've kinda figured the amount of "red" warning bar on the overexposure side of the E-M1 histogram I can recover in the raw converter and so will sometimes let it creep up around 1/3rd of the height of the histogram to help with the shadows before I will start dialing back exposure. Sometimes I'll even switch from the histogram to check the view where the camera shows where the red overexposure warning is in the scene itself. If it happens to be something like the sun glimmering off water or reflecting off a really bright objects....stuff where clipping is pretty much unavoidable, I won't worry as you'll wind up underexposing the overall scene way too much for a highlight you can never really recover.

The other thing I try to not do but sometimes will catch myself being guilty of in processing, is trying to raise shadows too much.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:05 AM   #3

I usually try to make it just bright enough so that the orange blinkers start showing up, but not too much. I don't know if that's correct or not, but it's easier for me to see than the histogram.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote