Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Default ....sample focus distances for m40-150 with extension tubes

I use the Meike branded @ $30 for a 10mm & 16mm (stackable) set .. At the time I bought the set off Amazon I wasn't really certain how the EX tubes might work with the lenses I have. The tubes are plastic, weigh nothing, fit well (the set I have) and given that I would use the tubes with only the m40-150 it wouldn't justify $180 for the Kenko set initially .... BUTTTT! when I buy a new set it will be KENKO. The plastic has begun to chip away on the latch grooves (plastic to metal).

Here is a simple test I just did with the full 10mm + 16mm stacked pair on the m40-150. A little shaky at 2-inches but the intention is to show the varied focus distance with the tubes @ 26mm.

Exactly as the JPG files came from the camera for these:

@ 48 inches

@ 36 inches

& 24 inches

@ 12 inches

@ 10 inches

@ 4 inches

@ 2 inches

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 13, 2014 at 1:12 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:51 PM   #2

Interesting Bob. Looks like the cheap ones have served you well, even if their lifespan is shorter.

As an aside, so it's $180 for a Kenko set. I'm showing my age, but Tokina is part of the Kenko group now. Many years ago, when I was shooting 35mm film, I got a set of 3 Tokina metal extension tubes for my OM-2n for relatively little cost. I know the new ones are better, but I don't think I will be buying any new ones. LOL

I still have the old Tokina set, and because I have the OM to 4/3 adapters, I can still use them in full manual mode. But I no longer use them, because I rarely shoot that close up.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:25 PM   #3

Steven .. While I mentioned the Kenko device I probably should have said 'metal mounting' of which there are several brands in the $30-$50 dollar range at Amazon.

With summer on the downswing I probably will not use the tubes again until next late spring and early summer so what I have will get me by until then. I will decide on something between now and then.

I do have a lot of fun and I do have an EX-25 to use with my FT lenses, on the FT 70-300 it is amazing what happens with that combo.

Thanks for taking time to comment.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:36 PM   #4

Thanks for doing that Bob. By checking the pavement (down to about 10 inches) you can see how it affects DOF as well. Thanks again.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote