Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:20 PM   #1

Default Nobody's home

An abandon house on top of a rise. Likely someone's dream was bigger than their pocketbook.

E-M1, m.Z 12-40, CPL, handheld 3 image HDR.
Attached Images

Last edited by chiPersei; Aug 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:21 AM   #2

......this is IMO a perfect HDR rendition of a very good composition.

I WILL attempt this very soon and I think I know just the place to make the images.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:39 AM   #3

Thanks Bob. It's a fun learning experience. I look forward to seeing your posts.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:48 AM   #4

The program you use looks like it does a great job aligning the various shots.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:29 PM   #5

Hi Greg-

I’ve been playing with both Photomatix and HDR Pro 2. Software has gotten better at aligning images but I think the EM-1 made handheld HDR possible for me. Looking back two generations of digital cameras (referring to the ones I owned) it required making individual settings for each individual frame. Tripod required. My last camera (Pany G3) could do bracketing but it was slower and more importantly it couldn’t do three images with 2 EV between them. To get three images with 2 EV you had to shoot 5 images and delete the two images on either side of the proper exposure. Slower speed plus additional time to take 5 exposures means not so easy to handhold HDR. Not to mention you’d have to hold the shutter through the 5 shots. With the EM-1 its squeeze the shutter once and bang, bang, bang it’s done. After processing, add some tasteful sharpening and it’s good to go. Obviously this has its limits. In low light the +2 EV exposure alone can take too long to hand hold. In this instance the longest was only 1/60. I know for sharp HDR you should always use a tripod. But it’s nice to know that when you’re driving down the road and something catches your eye, you can pull over, grab the camera and shoot before getting run over.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:18 PM   #6

I played with the HDR 1 option a few times while in Jackson. Definitely did a decent enough job. Files were a little flat but I'm sure would be easily corrected with a little bit of contrast add-in in Photoshop. Shooting images of the house where I stayed the dynamic range was so high, I wound up using the raw files and combining manually after processing in ACR.

A tub with a view..

Bedroom with a view..

Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:56 PM   #7

Wow! Those are gorgeous. And I'm not just speaking of the house which is magnificent as well. Are you saying these are each made up of multiple raw files put together in Photoshop? If so, did you use the built-in Photoshop HDR function?

Last edited by chiPersei; Aug 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:18 PM   #8

Each was a combination of two files. One to expose the detail outside and the other to capture the inside exposure. Processed the raw files both in ACR, then combined the resulting jpeg's manually in Photoshop using Layers and Layer Masks. I used the brush tool quite a bit to blend in where the outside detail met the windows to try and make them look as natural as possible. The Wacom tablet and pen, where pressing down more or less adjusts the opacity of the brush flows makes it easier to blend the two images together, but it was a time-consuming process. The more windows, the more time it took.

I used the 7-14mm f4 Panasonic lens, which created some impossible to "fix" flare in some of the images when I was at certain angles to the many windows so I just left that.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the explanation. Neat trick. I haven't tried it but the finished image certainly makes it look worthwhile.

Maybe using your GX7 would have minimized the time spent working on purple. Either way the end result is a very rich image.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:05 AM   #10

Alan - looks like the housing boom crested on that rise, what a shame as it has such an expansive view which you captured very well.

Greg - what a view for making some waffles! and cool to read of your technique, they look great and would be at home in the pages of a magazine.