Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:53 PM   #1
Talking Osprey (very heavy cropping)

First time I've ever gotten a clear shot. Despite the noise, etc., I'm very happy.

I have some more that I'll add here, maybe not as sharp but show him diving and fishing. They are very hard to track, and the cam and I were having a hard time keeping up (especially below the treeline). If you haven't seen, they spend minutes and minutes scanning the water like you see here, then suddenly just fold up their wings and crash into the water.

This was cropped to probably an eighth of the original image (or more) and was about as close as she ever got.

osprey-232.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 AM   #2

That is as good as any I've ever seen. Excellent positioning/posture to capture..
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:12 PM   #3

An excellent capture. Even with all the Ospreys that live in my neighborhood, I do not think that I have been able to get a shot as good as that. They always seem to stay too far away.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:19 AM   #4

Wow, thanks guys. Yeah Steven, he/she had the courtesy to be very close to me and "stand" where I would be shooting with the sun to my back against a plain blue background.

Haven't had time to put up any others yet, some are less good (but still interesting I think) and others are almost the same as here with different poses. I'd like to know what people think about the noise in the background (accentuated from cropping). I did some NR, do more or just leave it or leave it even more natural? I figure I could be aggressive as it's not like I'm losing any fine detail on the plain blue sky. I think I'm going to do a print, just a matter of how large I can push it considering I'm only using a small portion of the sensor here.

When I got home with these I was really surprised to not see the purple fringing I get on this lens very often in cases like this. It must have just been the perfect conditions to get something good.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:51 PM   #5

VERY nice shot
good detail and colors with the heavy cropping
the blue back ground makes it look nice
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote