Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Default Getting wet at the Falls

Sadly, not the sunniest of days for a visit to Niagara Falls. I have been wanting to pop down to the falls for a while so when the sun made an appearance on Saturday, we jumped into the car and headed down.

How many millions of families have posed here before the Falls?

Terrapin Point, Goat Island with a light frosting
with the M40-150mm mk1

At the edge, Table Rock. From here you are about fifteen or so feet from the drop

And it was wet. Shooting into a light mist, I failed to realize that the light mist had turned into a soaking rain. I did not notice the moisture was pouring off my hat until I pulled the camera away from my eye. I was going to reset to slow the shutter, but was shocked to see how wet the camera was becoming.
So one last shot from the edge, rather rushed…

Finally finding a spot with no mist from either the Horseshoe Falls or the American Falls, slipped the M40-150mm back on to look back. the area in the lower third of the frame is the Lower Terrace for getting more intimate with the Falls.

Later in the afternoon, we were strolling along the lower Niagara river, letting the sun finish drying us out. I had dried the camera and M14-42mm Mk1 so time to see if all still worked

I guess we will have to return to the Falls when the sun decides to return. Today we could hear the fog horn from the harbour. Not exactly appropriate musical accompaniment for Christmas carols.

Wishing all a Merry Christmas and the best of the season
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:55 PM   #2

Wonderful set Kula. And I like your narration between the photos. I was at the falls about 30 years ago with similar weather. Time to go back.

Merry Christmas to you as well.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:36 PM   #3

Enjoyed the photos and the narration. Glad that you posted them.

Merry Christmas to everyone on the forums.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:15 PM   #4

Very nice set Kula, Niagara Falls is an amazing place to photograph and Olympus is the best set up for this kind of weather.

Merry Christmas for you too.

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:05 AM   #5

Merry Christmas!
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:02 AM   #6

nice set and glad the camera held up to the mist!
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:38 PM   #7

Thanks for your comments. I will admit these are not the best possible shots, but that's what the day presented. As to the narration, I do suffer from a minor case of verbage -- a picture may be worth a thousand words, but there is always something to add. My late brother had a serious case of one word is not enough, must be why he was a lecturer in university.
And yes, the camera did handle the wet conditions very well. But I do recall flashing through my mind as the water poured onto the camera that if it did not survive, well, I would just have to spring for a new one.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote