Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:44 PM   #1
Default Some "Other" 40-150 shots, and Misc....

Like Bob, I was out today as well. Renewed my membership at the Arboretum for another year and set out to find "stuff" to capture with the 40-150..

I've been a little sidetracked the past few weeks in terms of shooting with my E-M1 outfit. The weather for one hasn't exactly cooperated a lot, and days when it has I've been out with my latest fun diversion, the 1952 Zeiss Contax IIA outfit..

The Biogon lens, in particular. Introduced in 1954, there was nothing else like it at 90 degrees of coverage and $219 in cost, or the equivalent of about $2,800 today. It's still an outstanding optic and the copy I picked up is almost like-new. It's quite an amazing, true wide angle design. The rear element almost touches the shutter it goes so far back. Even has a flare shield around the back element.

I don't think the design would work very well on a full-frame digital camera and it'd just be a pedestrian semi-normal lens on a micro body if it did fit and work, so about the only way to see it in action is on a Contax body, like these images captured with Ilford FP4 film. Processed and scanned by the Ilford labs in California. It takes almost two full weeks to get the scans after mailing the rolls off. Talk about old-fashioned

Going forward, the Contax IIA and 21mm Biogon will be in the bag with my E-M1 outfit for when I run across what looks like a great black & white subject. I love the look this outfit gives, and shooting with it is a heck of a lot of fun.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:14 AM   #2

WOW! Just WOW! ...the film images are really beautiful.

I have a pretty nice plugin for AfterShot Pro that mimics several different film; I've used it a few times and am going to look at it again, just need to find some files to fit with B&W....... thanks for the inspiration.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:41 PM   #3

Really nice shots Greg, the first one with the 40-150mm in particular has a really nice richness to the color and detail. The B&Ws are equally nice with some very interesting architectural compositions, I can understand why you find that Biogen lens so much fun as it has wonderful character.
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:13 PM   #4

The first shot with the shadows and colors came out really nicely.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:59 AM   #5

The first shot is amazing the sharpness and beautiful bokeh, I am looking for a lens that render that kind of background for my OMD-E5 and I found amazing samples in the internet, the Rokkor 58mm 1.2 and the pen f 42mm 1.2 are fantastic but very hard to find for sale.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:19 AM   #6

I agree, the first shot is really, really nice.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:54 AM   #7

I would guess I was around 9-10 feet away when I captured that. It was deep inside a bed at the Arboretum I could not get any closer too, so I zoomed to 150mm, opened up to f2.8, framed and shot. Thanks.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:50 AM   #8

Another excellent series, Greg. I agree with the others about the first shot. My other favorite is the first B&W image of the building.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote