Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:11 AM   #1
Default National Naval Aviation Museum

If you are ever in the Pensacola, Florida area you should do yourself a favor and visit The National Naval Aviation Museum. I've lived less than two hours from it for many years and just this past Wednesday visited for the first time. As an added bonus if you visit on a Tuesday or Wednesday between March and November you'll get to see the Blue Angles practice (it was as awesome as you'd imagine)! The Thunderbirds had been in Biloxi just the week before so getting to see the Thunderbirds AND the Blue Angels just days apart was a real treat. The museum is overwhelming. It is immense and contains everything the Navy has ever flown from lighter-than-air craft, to the most modern jet fighters. Planes are packed wall-to-wall and floor to ceiling and all are beautifully restored or preserved. There is an area devoted to space exploration as well as an area just for propulsion showing examples of various piston engines and cutaway jet engines. In the atrium hang the old A4 Blue Angels jets in a diamond formation. I can't say enough about this museum and unbelievably entrance to the museum and to view the Blue Angels IS FREE! Here are a few non spectacular photos made while visiting that show not even a fraction of the displays PLUS their is another hangar behind the main museum AND tons of unrestored planes outside on the flight line where you view the Blue Angles.

BackBayBiloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:31 AM   #2

A friend of mine recently told me about this museum. I'll have to let my daughter know about it if she doesn't already know so she can get by there when she is in the area. Thank you for posting these.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:37 AM   #3

Thank you for this post and for posting the photos. Good job in capturing the flavor of the museum.

Years ago I lived in the Panhandle area, and the Naval Air Museum was one of my favorite places to go. And, as as you said, if the Blue Angels were practicing it was an added bonus.

This was before I had a digital camera, and I've been meaning to take a trip back to the museum and re-photograph it in digital. Your post gives me extra incentive to plan a future trip to Pensacola.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:23 PM   #4

very cool and good to know about. I really like the third shot of the Mig-17, it has a nice sense of motion to it.
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote