Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM   #1
Default Antietam National Battlefield

Fought September 17, 1862, this was the single most deadly day of the American Civil War with over 22,000 casualties in about 12 hours of fighting.

Antietam is the name of the creek that flows over the battlefield, which is located in Sharpsburg, Maryland, along the Maryland-West Virginia border and nowhere near any type of medium or large metropolitan area, the town seems not to have grown all that much the past 150 years and the battlefield is very much in-tact and being preserved in the state as seen at the time of the battle. This and Gettysburg are probably as good as it gets if you want to visit a battle site and see what they saw with little to no modern intrusion beyond the obvious difference of the occasional power line and paved vs. dirt roads at the time.

Most all of these shot with the E-M1 and 12-40mm f2.8. A few were captured with the 40-150mm f2.8 and a few with the Panasonic 7-14mm f4.

I shot this image..

As it is very close to the vantage used to shoot this one just after the battle..

The sunken road, where 2,000+ Confederates became casualties in 2-3 hours of fighting..

Monument to William McKinley, a Union officer who survived the war, only to be assassinated as President in 1901..

The National Cemetery, where 4,700 Union soldiers, about one-third of which are not identified, are buried. Soldiers were initially buried on the battlefield close to where they fell. The job of relocating these soldiers could not have been a pleasant process.

Confederate dead are not buried in the national cemeteries. they were taken south and buried primarily in cemeteries in Virginia, although some were returned to their home states if they could be identified.

I'm not too sure people today would put up with the country being involved in wars where casualty rates could be as high as 82%..

This is the third Texas monument I have seen on a Civil War battlefield, the other two at Gettysburg and The Wilderness. They are identical in style and made of the same granite material used to build the state capitol building in Austin.

The monuments on these battlefields are magnificent pieces of artwork.

Removed a power line running through the middle of this one..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:51 PM   #2

Greg, excellent series on these documentary pictures. The sacrifice of life and brutality of a war when young men just marched into cannon fire and gotten killed on the battlefield. God blessed them and now they are in a better place.
Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:59 AM   #3

I agree with Michael. I enjoyed this post because the photography is top notch, and the subject matter interesting. The Civil War will always be a painful part of our history, and the source of continued divisiveness in our country. I learned a few things I didn't know. Thank you.
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:04 AM   #4

Nice set, really well done history lesson. It's a shame you can't clone out the telephone pole from the first shot.

Many towns up here in the Northeast have statues similar to the one of Colonel Hawley in remembrance of the union soldiers.

I think it's important to remember, especially in these divisive times, how this country was once split to the point of blood shed, I hope we never repeat it.
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:09 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
I agree with Michael. I enjoyed this post because the photography is top notch, and the subject matter interesting. The Civil War will always be a painful part of our history, and the source of continued divisiveness in our country. I learned a few things I didn't know. Thank you.
Well said.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:26 PM   #6

Fantastic set Greg, love the compositions and perfect exposure.

That pole on the 1st shot is so distracting and very hard to clone it.

This fall I am planning to do a photographic trip visiting only small towns in NJ, North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania and I would love to visit this place.

Thank you for the info and sharing.

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote