Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:01 AM   #1
Default Admiring Light Review of the 7-14mm f2.8 M. Zuiko

This guy does some really good, neutral reviews of Micro Four-Thirds equipment.

One amendment I would add to his review, the manual focus clutch ring does not actually provide "hard" stops on each end. It acts just like the 12-40 and 40-150 f2.8 zooms in focusing well past infinity. The distance scale stops, but there is no hard stop at infinity, and infinity is not at a point when the infinity marking is centered over the index so it cannot be utilized like old-fashioned manual focus lenses of the past.

Just for grins I pulled out my E-M5 with the accessory grip (just the upper part) mounted on the camera. The fit between the lens and grip/release was a little tight with the extra protruding grip and positioning of the twin dials just far enough away to be a little uncomfortable for my small hands, mainly getting at the back dial. The newer E-M5 II repositioned the dials more in line with the E-M1 and it no doubt "feels" better with this lens. The ergonomics with the E-M1 are perfect.

DXO states on their site the E-M1 + 7-14mm f2.8 Zuiko profile will be available during October. It will be interesting at that time to compare the results to Adobe Camera raw to see how much extra field of view DXO is able to squeeze out of the files (they always seem to) with their profile.

His comments about against the light performance are pretty much spot on from what I have experienced. I always confirm the image I am looking to capture is too wide for the 12-40 before attaching the 7-14. You really have to watch out for sunlight hitting the front element from oblique angles, or you wind up with stuff like this..

This next image was captured at 14mm, which is the setting where the front elements are at maximum retraction and benefit the most from the built-in hood, so I was surprised when I saw this as I thought the sun was far enough out of the field of view. Not that it's always bad, but I didn't expect to see it here. Moral of the story, I will use the 12-40 until I hit an image where the 12mm end of that lens is not wide enough, THEN I will to go the 7-14mm f2.8 M. Zuiko.

But I do indeed love the lens for when I can get at otherwise impossible to capture angles of view like this..

This image was at a tough angle. A magnolia tree was in front of the historical marker, making it impossible to capture both the marker and the statue without some sort of super wide lens. This was captured at 11mm, f8, I focused on the marker and made certain via the digital levels I was level in both planes.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:28 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links