Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:46 PM   #1
Default Three f2.8 M. Zuikos and the E-M5II

On an overcast, wet day at the Arboretum. First, a few with the 7-14mm f2.8. All of these processed in DXO Pro Optics 10.

Getting ready for a 12 days of Christmas display. This is the Day 7 stage.

the 40-150mm f2.8..

12-40mm f2.8.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:43 PM   #2

Superb series,evokes the feeling of my actually being there.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:50 AM   #3

Nice series Greg, very impressed with your shots with the 7-14mm f2.8 with this post and others, looks like a must have lens for the landscape photographer.

Does DXO Optics still squeeze out that little bit more of the frame with its lens correction compared to other RAW processing software?
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:24 AM   #4

Beautiful series
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:41 AM   #5

TG, yes, DXO does, and it's obvious when you toggle back & forth between a file processed in ACR and DXO, like the one below, ACR-processed files still have uncorrected bent-line distortion that DXO 'cleans up".

The two images below are hyperlinks. Just click on either one and you'll go to my web page where the same file is processed twice. Once in ACR and once in DXO. If you take turns clicking on each image, the uncorrected distortion in the ACR-processed image becomes obvious, in addition to the 'extra" field of view picked up in the DXO file. The extra field of view is not humongous, but at 7mm already, the extra bit included is impressive. One negative to the extra FOV from processing when using DXO, what you see in the finder when you capture the image is no longer 100%, so some tiny something could wind up in the file along the edges you were not expecting.

I processed the image in ACR using the "Camera Vivid" profile because the "Camera Natural" profile renders colors flatter than the standard DXO profile.

One other difference I noticed, the ACR processed file, save at the maximum-size quality, lowest compressed "12" setting is something over 10MB in size. The DXO file is over 12MB using the 99% quality setting, so the compression DXO uses seems to be even less, although I know part of that difference amounts to them using more of the raw file to achieve the wider field of view.

DXO image..

Adobe Camera raw image..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 2, 2015 at 8:07 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote