Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:05 AM   #1

Default More new Olympus lenses

I see the four-thirds rumors site has some low resolution images of the upcoming 25mm f1.2, 12-100mm f4 and 30mm macro Zuikos. The system is really filling out well. The 12-100mm f4 is an intriguing optic. A 24-200mm equivalent zoom with a constant f4 aperture, if optically it is really excellent throughout....

All pretty exciting, and that's before even thinking about the E-M1 replacement, which I'll obviously be getting, but I do not think right away. It'll be a good while before DXO gets the thing properly calibrated for it's raw software, which I'm really enjoying using.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:18 PM   #2

I have finally decided to get serious about filling out my Olympus camera set up and making it my go anywhere travel kit. Which leads me to this question: have you ever considered getting the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 lens.

I know that both you & Bob have the 40-150mm f2.8Pro and I can see why. The lens produces images that are nothing short amazing. But, while I would love to get it, my goal is to have the lightest travel kit I can get.

Any thoughts

If anyone else has any experience with these two lenses, feel free to chime in

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:09 PM   #3

Hi Zig! It's been too long. I need to set up another trip up there for a different time of year. I just sent you a PM too.

The Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 was the first f2.8 tele zoom I owned prior to the Zuiko and I still have both. I'd call them optically pretty much equals. The Panasonic has a built-in stabilization so you have to choose whether to use the body or lens stabilization when used on an Olympus body. The Zuiko has the reach edge, but the Panasonic is way more compact and light-weight.

One thing the Zuiko does extremely well compared to the Panasonicl is focus so darn close on its own. When I was using the Panasonic I had to resort to the Kenko extension tubes to do closeups. With the Zuiko, it just goes there on it's own.

They're both wonderfully made and create beautiful images.

I'm leaving for Jackson, Wyoming with the three f2.8 Zuikos in tow tomorrow. Last time I was there with the E-M1 was 2014 and it was the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 I was using for all the long shots in this folder..

https://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Trave...ing-June-2014/
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:29 AM   #4

Yes, it has been too long, Greg.
The colors of Fall in New England are spectacular this time of year, although, Jackson Hole & Yellowstone aren't shabby.

Thanks for including the link to your last Wyoming visit. This year, I don't think you'll be seeing any snow on the Tetons. We were there in August and while the Parks are always great to visit, there was no snow (nor did we expect any) on the Tetons and hardly any wildlife( we did expect more).

One thing that did occur while we were there, was my determination to lighten my camera travel pac which consisted of a D800, along with a CB monopod, 16-35mm, 70-200mm f2.8, 105mm macro, 24-85mm, and TC-14II.
At the end of each day, my shoulder was killing me.

To make matters worse, I found my self leaving most of the lenses in the car while hiking or walking around.

When I got back, I could have easily brought my EM-5 with 2 lenses, a TC and been able to get the same results without the aches.

This is why I've started thinking about the 35-100mm vs the Oly 40-150mm f2.8. While the 40-150mm is a cracker of a lens, it does come with a bit more heft. I've recently read a few reviews of the Pany 35-100mm and all of them echo what you have just said about being sharp while having the advantage in size.

Have fun in Wyoming, I'll be looking forward to your images.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:59 PM   #5

Have fun in Wyoming, Greg. We look forward to seeing your shots from there.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:28 AM   #6

Quote:
.........exciting, and that's before even thinking about the E-M1 replacement
I am pretty well satisfied with my lenses now that I have the 12-40 & 40-150 + the FT 9-18 & 70-300.

I am excited to see what the E-M1 II will be and preparing myself to maybe get it ASAP rather than wait; of course pricing & features will help me decide.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote