Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:20 PM   #1
TG

Default OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Can't wait for this camera to comes out. Will definitely be purchasing a body when it comes out (have already been planing and put some money aside for this purchase). Sounds great for my style of photography, the E-M1 is a very capable sports/action camera and got better with every firmware upgrade. Will be keeping my E-M1 and use it as a second/backup body (or for my kids to use) and keeping my E-M10 for the kids and for casual shooting when I want to travel light (E-M10 & pancake zoom combination).

Olympus has announced the development of the E-M1 Mark II flagship OM-D product. The 20MP camera is able to shoot at up to 18 fps in Raw, with autofocus or 60 fps at full-res Raw if you don't need autofocus.
The camera will come later this year, the company says, having spent four years in development. The company says dynamic range is improved, with noise performance improved by 1EV (though we're somewhat sceptical about this).
The camera has 121 cross-type AF on-sensor phase detection points, spread over a wider area than its predecessor. It also has a new algorithm that should be better at tracking.
The autofocus system is completely new, the company says. 'Improved in terms of performance, precision and operation.' This is underpinned by twin quad core processors, one of which is dedicated to autofocus.
The camera can also shoot 4K video, including the wider aspect ratio 'DCI' Cinema 4K at up to 236mbps.
A revised EVF runs at 120fps with a reaction time of 6ms.
Higher capacity battery with faster charging.
Grip is more secure to work better with larger lenses.
Dual UHS-II SD slots.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:05 AM   #2

The accessory grip for vertical shooting will be the best one Olympus has ever offered. One of the DPReview "first looks" showed the back with the grip fitted and the vertical grip controls now, finally, includes a second four-way pad, the one thing that's been missing. Having to access the one on the camera body while shooting vertically is awkward at best.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:08 AM   #3
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The accessory grip for vertical shooting will be the best one Olympus has ever offered. One of the DPReview "first looks" showed the back with the grip fitted and the vertical grip controls now, finally, includes a second four-way pad, the one thing that's been missing. Having to access the one on the camera body while shooting vertically is awkward at best.
I did see that picture on DPReview great idea and also noticed that they have moved the B-fn2 button accross instead of having it below the B-fn1 button, much better position instead of having so close together.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:27 AM   #4

Quote:

I didn't/haven't seen that image; doesn't matter though I will just buy it when I get the camera... (Arlington Camera) same as I did with the EM-1, the grip never is off but for a battery refresh.....

I can't imagine using the camera without the 'grip'; the new one sounds good, I always get my thumb confused now.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Here's the image. The first really "complete" vertical grip by Olympus. I use the four-way paddle to constantly move the AF point around and having to reach up for the body four-way when using the vertical grip with my small hands is a pain. This solves it.

Image complements of DPReview.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 27, 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Here's the image. The first really "complete" vertical grip by Olympus. I use the four-way paddle to constantly move the AF point around and having to reach up for the body four-way when using the vertical grip with my small hands is a pain. This solves it.

That will be convenient .. It definitely will be a 'must' have for me.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 27, 2016 at 9:36 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:11 AM   #7
TG

Quote:

Will be very hand for this I do the same thing and also like to assign different functions to each of the pads.