Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:51 AM   #1

Default The DXO "Extended Wide" Effect

The images I posted to the Wyoming folder on the Smugmug page were all processed in Adobe Camera raw/Photoshop. Last night I processed a set of images captured at String Lake using DXO Pro Optics 11, which "does it's own thing" regarding lens corrections, typically squeezing out a wider finished image compared to the corrections Olympus bakes in to the raw files. The colors using DXO are also typically more vibrant, and I was not conservative in ACR when it came to trying to bring out the beautiful colors I saw as I shot these.

Here's one example at 7mm with the 7-14mm f2.8 M. Zuiko.

Processed in Adobe Camera raw..

and DXO Pro Optics 11..

Others processed last night in DXO..

Tell me if you think I went a little too far with this image. I tried not to "HDR it" too much..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 29, 2016 at 11:21 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:49 PM   #2

Great set. I don't think you did too much HDR (maybe in the top left with the clouds), but the corresponding reflection in the lake is amazing.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:02 PM   #3

....I agree with Drew; for me the HDR is done very well. Any of the HDR images would be really good as a canvas print; my favorite is the last one of these.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:13 AM   #4

DXO does allow you to maximize the dynamic range in a single file pretty darn well, assuming the information is there to work with. I may go back in that one and turn down the blacks/shadows just a little bit and add some more depth. It's creeping in on the edges of too HDR looking for me.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:55 AM   #5

If you hadn't said that you applied an HDR filter, I wouldn't have really guessed it. The changes are subtle and not over cooked.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:31 AM   #6

Hi Zig. Thanks.

I actually didn't use an HDR filter per se, just applied the blacks, Shadows, Midtone and Highlights sliders in DXO Pro Optics 11. The Clearview filter is also a pretty darn powerful tool, but is usually over the top in it's default setting of 50%. I typically will back it off to somewhere between 20-35%, image-dependent. I went back yesterday and backed off on the darker values in the fourth image. It did look too HDR to me.

A few I've re-processed in DXO from Geyser Basin at Yellowstone..

Small stream from Old Faithful..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 2, 2016 at 8:37 AM.