Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:53 PM   #1

Default E-M1 Mark II Has Landed

Just finished charging the battery. Didn't time it, but I believe it was less than a couple of hours. Fast. The grip is one sweet design, and putting the strap lug on that side at the top is a great ergonomic move.

Scanned through the menus and set up my basic settings pretty much for standard shooting, but I'll need to go back for some additional setup later as I saw ALOT as I dove through the progression of pages I've never seen before.

The mechanical shutter sound is much refined compared to the original E-M1, low pitched and quiet. Very nice, and the in-camera IS combined with the in-lens stabilization system of the 12-100 looks to be steady-as-a-rock solid.

I really wish the security goons at Lone Star Park would let a camera like this in. I'd be there every Saturday shooting the thoroughbred races.

I'll come back to this post with additions as I shoot with the camera over the next several days.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:11 AM   #2
TG

Congratulations Greg on your new purchase, look forward to seeing some pics from E-M1 II
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I'll come back to this post with additions as I shoot with the camera over the next several days.
Hi Greg,

Looking forward to it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:08 AM   #4

Happy ya'got it............

........I'm awaiting Bonnie's birthday (to me) check, she says it is in the mail; I'll give it a couple days.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:52 PM   #5

A one image preview, this morning at sunrise, 6/10's of a second handheld at f4 with the 12-100 at 12mm.

Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:35 PM   #6

......and it is a WOW as are the others

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 30, 2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:47 AM   #7

A few observations after shooting around with it for a day or so, the battery indicator is very precise. Mine shows 71% of capacity right now, and that's after tons of menu research and lot of test shooting, reviewing, deleting, etc. If you are in a position to top the battery off each evening while travelling, one battery is quite possibly all one would ever need.....but I am getting a second one anyway, LOL.

The grip is extremely comfortable and very familiar. Last night I went to the bottom bag in the closet and pulled out my "old" Olympus E-1, probably the most comfortable DSLR I ever held. The bigger E-M1 Mark II grip feels very much like that switching between the two.

Saturday morning I'm going to go find and purchase one of the ultra high-speed SD cards that's supported in the primary slot, head to White Rock Lake and try my hand at some high-framing rate bird-in-flight shooting with the 40-150/2.8 and 1.4x TC. I did some long range test shooting with the 40-150+TC. Ultra-impressed with the stabilization system and smooth mechanical shutter, wow.

One disappointing and surprising note, the ultra-small AF box option I use all the time with the E-M1 is no longer there, but on the good side all of the AF boxes are available in PDAF, not just the central patch of boxes like on the E-M1 with four-thirds lenses. The one four-thirds lens I have that'll be interesting to test is the 8mm f3.5 Zuiko fisheye. With the E-M1, purple fringing was just horrible. We'll see if it's the same with the Mark II, and I'll definitely have to give the 50mm f2 Macro Zuiko a spin. The 50mm f2 autofocuses faster on the E-M1 than it did on any Olympus DSLR. I would imagine on this Mark II body it'll be a very desirable lens.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 31, 2017 at 8:51 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:35 AM   #8

Thanks for posting this photo with a link to your website. The series of images show off the capabilities of not only the camera but that 12-100mm lens.

I'm going to spend a few days sightseeing in Washington DC this coming week. The 12-100mm looks like the perfect travel lens.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:36 AM   #9

The 12-100 is one seriously good lens, across the range. Remembering back to my trips to DC with my daughter, I would also take the 7-14. That and the 12-100 would have captured pretty much everything. For the number of images over 100mm that I used the 40-150/2.8, the extra load to tote it was not worth it.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 2, 2017 at 4:12 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
The 12-100 is one seriously good lens, across the range.
....and so thinks Neil Grant; his 'Cuba' report including the 25 f1.2

http://tinyurl.com/lrhgvq5

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 5, 2017 at 2:00 PM.