Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Default C 5050 lens wobble

Just got a C-5050. I noticed that the extended lens wobbles quite a bit. I arranged for a replacement to be sent and the next one had the same trait. Went to a local shop and the Olympus C-5050 demo was the same. Also noticed that many other brands (Cannon G3 for example) have a certain amount of play in the extended lens. I can't help but think that this is bad for image quality - unless the lens and CCD are coupled together.

Have any C type camera owners noted this loose lens trait??

J. Trevino :?:
J. Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2003, 4:09 PM   #2

It's normal on the C-7x0 series of cameras...no doubt that's it's normal on other C-Series cameras which has an exposed lens tube.

Most users find that having a filter adapter tube and a UV/Skylight filter on the camera at all times is the best for protecting the lens assembly. Some C-7x0 users have bumped their lens while extended and knocked it out of alignment so the lens gets 'stuck'...a bump in the opposite direction usually gets it working again.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 2:20 PM   #3

I remember when the first Nikon AF leneses came out, they wobbled too! Didn't seen to affect the quality of the photos though. I do sympathise, it can be a bit disconcerting if you're use to older SLR lenses.

Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote