Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 6, 2003, 1:17 AM   #1
Default Olympus C 740 C750

I am thinknig of purchasing one of the above can anyone give me information - has it a good lens, how good is the zoom, it is the only one I can find with a x 10 Zoom - is there a price to pay for this in quality in other departments
colb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2003, 8:13 AM   #2

Look at this comparison from Olympus:

The 750 has a hot shoe which is invaluable for serious work. It also has a bit more MP at 4. In for a penny, in for a pound; I would opt for the 750 all things being equal on the financial side. With these two, there is no trade off on other features for the 10X zoom. I have the 720 with 8X and feel that its fine. 10X was the Olympus standard for the C-7XX series for a while.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 8:19 AM   #3

the 740 and 750 both have a new ED lens by olympus, which has been designed to help reduce the CA & purple fringing problems found in digital cameras, especially in long-zoom/ccd couplings. from the shots i have seen so far from various uses of the 740 & 750, this new lens seems to do what it is advertised to do.

not sure what you mean by 'how good is the zoom' but a the 10x actually refers to 10x the amount of zoom achieved in full wide, so in 35mm terms a camera like the 750 will do 38mm to 380mm. the zoom mechanism is quite smooth, smooth enough to make my 5050 seem a little jerky after playing with one.

there is always a price to pay, and you should really sit down and think through what situations you are most likely to shoot in, and whether a long zoom 750 camera fits your needs better, or a camera such as the 5050 or a G3/G5 which has more manual control, takes better portraits, etc, would fit your needs better.

at the moment, olympus more or less "rules" the long zoom digital range, with the exception of perhaps the Panasonic FZ-1 (which offers a 12x image stabilized zoom, but no manual control). however, toshiba is coming out with some 10x models with high mp and manual controls, using a canon lens, and i'm sure others are bound to follow suit.

hope this helps =)

somynex is offline   Reply With Quote