Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 6, 2003, 6:40 PM   #1
Default 740 vs 730 Difference?

Can someone tell me the big difference between the 730 and 740?? Except for price the seem about the same....also if you own one, can you tell me how hard it is to hold steady on full zoom? I do just fine with my 200 slr, but not sure about this...was wanting the panasonic fz1 with stabilizaion...but want the higher pix (3.2)

draxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2003, 8:36 PM   #2

Straight from the Olympus site:

There are subtle differences between the two. My 720 has 8X zoom, and I don't find it a problem. Conceivably the extra zoom on these two will cause more tendency to shake, but it can be overcome. Try to put your hands on both models before buying.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:32 PM   #3

both the 730 and 740 are 10x zoom cameras, 38mm-380mm in 35mm terms if i remember correctly. however,

the 730 is slightly larger than the 740/750, and takes xD or SM card formats (both in the same drive so you cannot use both together). it also has a connector for an external flash, and is remote control compatible (RM-1 remote). it does use SM cards, however, and they are going for quite low prices now.

the 740 uses the new ED lens from olympus which is designed to (and does) cut down on the CA problems present in many zoom-ccd couplings. however, the 740 is something like the 'no frills' version of the 750, as it does not have external flash capabilities or remote control of the730/730, nor the higher mp of the 750. also the 740/750 only uses xD cards which are currently more expensive than SM cards, but not limited to the 128MB of SM cards. also, for whatever reason (I personally think it could be the xD card), battery life seems to be quite robust in the 740/750 models

probably are some other differences but those are the ones that stand out in my memory. whether you will need a tripod or not depends on how steady your hands are and how much light is available. that i can't answer for you =)

somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 4:56 PM   #4
Default 730 v 740

If I recall correctly, the 730 has sound videos and the 740 does not.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote