Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 6, 2003, 7:52 PM   #1
Default Problem With Filters

I have had an Olympus 4000Z since the beginning of the year and have started to explore photography with filters. I bought the extension tube with the camera which gives a filter size of 43mm. I bought 2 step up rings to get to a filter size of 49mm. Now the other day I strapped on a UV filter and ND filter and the picture wound up with a black ring on the outside corners of the picture. I inquired at the store I bought it from about the most popular filter size and they said 49mm. However, it appears this is not so.

So I am wondering if anybody can give me some suggestions about what filter size is the best and if there is a way around this problem. I am very new at working with filters so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

gemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2003, 11:54 PM   #2

The problem is you're stacking too many items, even if they are larger than the lens. If you just had the tube and the single filter you wouldn't have a problem.

If you can't find filters in the 43mm size, you can get tubes from third parties with a more common size like 52mm over at 2filter:

2filter also has filters in the 43mm size.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:12 AM   #3

Yes, Mike thanks. I thought that was the problem. I'll check out this information. I was not aware that there were other tubes with different thread sizes so that is helpful information. As I said, I am new to filters.

Gemery :roll:
gemery is offline   Reply With Quote