Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:57 PM   #1
Default Steep learning curve with the C-5050

I just received it from NewEgg on Friday, and having only previously owned point and shoot film cameras prior to this, I am not afraid to admit I don't have a clue as to what it's doing or set at 90% of the time :?

I know I like it and will be keeping it, but can anyone point me to a link/website or two that can get me up to speed on things like F stop, white balance, apeture and all that jazz?

I have no idea what to set it to for general picture taking and of the 30 or 40 pix I've taken so far, only probably 10 or so have been acceptable.

The owners manual and .pdf file on the included disc are not that helpful from what I've been able to absorb, and I thought there may be a good site or two out there that can walk me through and explain some of this for a newbie digicam owner who has more in his hands than he knows what to do with.

I'm starting to wonder if I should've purchased more of a point and shoot digicam, but I'm sure once I've educated myself and gotten up to speed on all that is needed I'll be glad that I went with more of a tweakable camera like the C-5050.
Hardwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:00 AM   #2

Suggest you start at http://www.photocourse.com where there's a free online "book" on the basics of those settings. Also you should check out your library for books.

There are dedicated groups online at Yahoo:
and MSN

With the 5050 you can use the Program mode along with the auto white balance, and most things will be automatic. You can also use the preprogrammed modes (landscape, sports, etc.). You got a great camera, and you can grow into it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 3:10 PM   #3

I too had the same problem. But there is a good course available at http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstor...lympus5050.htm. This book should help you on your way to not only understanding the features of your camera but also using these feature to take great pics.
hariraghavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 3:25 PM   #4

The P mode (program mode) is the best place as stated earlier in the post. One of the most important factors in P mode is you have to let the camera do all the auto settings before taking the picture. This problem is called shutter lag. You press the shutter button half way and wait for the beep or green light to appear in the viewfind then press the shutter fully. This will prevent out of focus pictures.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:27 PM   #5

Cool...thanks for the replies and the links. I have a lot of reading and learning to do.

It's also nice to see that I'm not the only one who has felt like this after buying a prosumer digicam.

Just going by the pictures that have somehow turned out good so far, I can tell I'm really going to like this camera.
Hardwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:18 AM   #6

If your library has it, I'd suggest checking out Mastering The Basics Of Photography. This book has all sorts of tips, including basic rules for exposure if you don't have or want to use a light meter.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote