Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 12, 2007, 2:17 PM   #1

Hi!

First post here ever. I used the forum search but didn't find much information concerning the C-750 Ultra Zoom. Thanks for your help!

Only the questions:

-Does anyone know here what is themaximum xD card capacity for theOlympus C-750 Ultra Zoom?

-Is it possible to get the camera accept cards with larger capacity with a firmware update or somehow?

Background:

I bought today a 2 GB SanDisk xD card for my C-750 but it doesn't work, even after trying to format it in the camera. The formatting crashes to a "card error", but the camera won't start without formatting the card first. My old 16 & 256 MB cards work just fine. I read the manual after buying the xD card...Printed in the manual,inthecameras technical information sheet lays "(16-256MB)", which I hope is old information and fixable with some update. But I can't deny it, I'm feeling a bit like idiot already not to have read the manual first.. :?
sqxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:06 AM   #2

The Olympus support emailed me and told that the largest supported xD card capacity is 512 MB and there's no firmware upgrade to raise the limit. Great... Now I'll have to buy a camera which can use the 2GB xD card.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:07 PM   #3

For futurereference about which cameras can use which xD cards:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...series=cseries
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:42 AM   #4

robbo wrote:
Quote:
For futurereference about which cameras can use which xD cards:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...series=cseries
Thanks! It was actually pretty similar sheet, where the Olympus support liked me to. So unfair, if my camera was a C-760, it'd support larger xD cards.. :evil:
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:13 PM   #5

Bear in mind that when the C-750 came to market, xD cards were just hitting the 256MB mark, shortly thereafter getting to 512MB. Subsequent models that were released allowed for larger cards because those cards were available.

That said, I was hoping to find a firmware upgrade, but the only thing available is the PictBridge update, which I got a long time ago. I don't think it would be that difficult for Olympus to modify the C-750's firmware to allow for larger cards, but I'm not holding my breath. I still love my camera but won't be too hearbroken when it finally gives up the ghost...I'll either move to one of the new SP5xx models (27mm low end and 18x optical zoom sounds yummy), or take the leap straight to a dSLR.

This leads me to a question...4+ years on, do you still like the C-750? My feeling is that it is still a considerably powerful camera given its age; apart from the increased megapixels and image stabilization, there is not that much different about the newer cameras in terms of actual performance.
Elfman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:44 AM   #6

Elfman42 wrote:
Quote:
4+ years on, do you still like the C-750?Â* My feeling is that it is still a considerably powerful camera
I own C740 (same as yours but with 3MP). It is very good camera. I have even activated RAW shooting on it. It gives better control on the quality of shooting.
mguergov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:16 AM   #7

In additiin to staying with the olympus camera family to use your 2GB xD card please consider the fuji S-9100 and S6000etc.

I had a C-750 when they first came out and after 30,000 +/-photos (in 18 months)it gave out and developed some serious vinting and fringing problems. So I moved on to the Fuji S-5100 camera

my cameras have been

Panasonic Superdisc camera 1.3MP version with3 discs (18 months)

very slow and 3x zoom limiting but at the time it has some of the biggest

available memory around just over 200 shots per disc

olympus C-750 (18 months)

devleoped problems just after 1 year warrenty ran out

Fuji S-5100 (9 months)

decided I needed a hot shoe flash so I moved on sold old camera

Fuji S-9100 (got in May)

someday I'd like to get another fuji with hotshoe and manual ring barrell focus

but with 18x optical zoom, bit for now its a work horse and working very well

memory cards

16MB xD (2)

512MB xD

1GB xD M

1GB xD H (2)

2GB sandisc Ultra II CF

4GB PQI 100x CF

Wolverine 60GB flashpack device

Sandisc large memory card holder (hardshell wallet)

holds all my cards except 16MB xD(xDs even sit under my CF cards in same slot)
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 8:03 AM   #8

Elfman42 wrote:
Quote:
Bear in mind that when the C-750 came to market, xD cards were just hitting the 256MB mark, shortly thereafter getting to 512MB. Subsequent models that were released allowed for larger cards because those cards were available.

That said, I was hoping to find a firmware upgrade, but the only thing available is the PictBridge update, which I got a long time ago. I don't think it would be that difficult for Olympus to modify the C-750's firmware to allow for larger cards, but I'm not holding my breath. I still love my camera but won't be too hearbroken when it finally gives up the ghost...I'll either move to one of the new SP5xx models (27mm low end and 18x optical zoom sounds yummy), or take the leap straight to a dSLR.

This leads me to a question...4+ years on, do you still like the C-750? My feeling is that it is still a considerably powerful camera given its age; apart from the increased megapixels and image stabilization, there is not that much different about the newer cameras in terms of actual performance.
Oops, a bit of a lag on my response..

That's true, the camera is old, but an update from the manufacturer would be nice as time goes by and bigger memory cards come available.. The current cardsize limit is such a disability because that small cards aren't necessarily even sold anymore!

Yes, the C-750 is pretty good camera, especially considering it's age! It's quite a big thing, not a pocket camera and that's why it isn't always easy to take with. But the picture quality seems also better than what pocket cameras can do.

I bought an Olympusµ820 to have use for the 2GB xD card, and now I feel a bit disappointed with the pictures it takes, as the C-750 pictures look somehow better. The µ820 pictures seem somehow blurry or unfocused, and the automatic function sucks indoors since the camera always uses ISO 1600 or 3200 etc and most of the pictures are very coarse looking. Wonder if the cause of the problems is me or the camera.. Gotta find some time soonto read the manual throughly.

Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:17 PM   #9
PJM

It's not as simple as making a firmware update to support larger memory cards. The buffer in the camera is a fixed asset--flash memory. Most likely the buffer in the C-750 can't support larger cards, so a firmware update isn't a solution.
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:18 PM   #10

PJM wrote:
Quote:
It's not as simple as making a firmware update to support larger memory cards. The buffer in the camera is a fixed asset--flash memory. Most likely the buffer in the C-750 can't support larger cards, so a firmware update isn't a solution.
Ok! Good to know that it's possible, that maybe the update isn't missing just because the manufacturer doesn't care about the feelings of the old-camera-owners. :-)