Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:44 AM   #1
Default C-700 Problems and Video Question

Okay, just got the Olympus C-700 and it's a great camera. However, I think I already have to return it. All of my living subjects (animals and people alike) only have their eyes half open when the picture is taken. I bought the item refurbished and it appears UPS may have kicked the box around a little bit as one side was dented and the idiot of a company didn't put any packaging cushion in the box at all! Well, I'm guessing either the shutter is off or the flash is off a fraction of a second and they're already responding to the flash by the time the shutter is closed. If anyone has any opinions about this I'd love to hear them but that is not my main question. My main question is that, I've got plenty of room to record video but this will only allow me to do it in 15 second bursts. Anyway I can change that setting?
aplustech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2002, 7:53 AM   #2
Default No thats not a camera problem...

it's shutter lag - I guess. Something every digicam have in more or less degree. You will need to learn how to get great pictures despite the shutter lag. The keyword is practice, practice ... and guess what practice.
You need to half press the shutter, to let the camera focus and meter. Then press the shutter all the way down to capture the picture. (When using red eye reduction, remember to warn people of the pre flashes. And dont use it with animals)
Also use P mode instead of auto mode. Lock the ISO at 100. This ensures the best pictures.
For reducing shutterlag:
- Preset white balance instead of auto.
- Use manual focus.
This setting give quite short shutter lag, the picture is taken nearly instantly, but ofcause you need to practice this technique.

The video length is not determined by the SM card, but the internal memory buffer in the camera which only holds 15 sec in HQ mode, and a bit longer in SQ mode. That can't be changed in any way. SQ mode will let you do longer recordings but in a lower resolution.
BjarneChr is offline   Reply With Quote