Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:23 PM   #1

I have been using my 8080 for 2 years. I am having some problems I dropped it. I need to get a new camera. I would love to find a point and shoot as good as my 8080-
I use macro a lot and print at 11x14 . and some landscapes at 13x19. Any one have any options $500 and less. Point and shoot with great macro a plus. My 8080 has been very clean, not much noise under 400 iso I have 2 large compact flash cards and an epson photo 1400. I have always liked carrying no lenses.
Thanks Id love to hearwhat you reccomend
bhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:25 PM   #2

I am not sure that Olympus makes any point and shoots as good at the 8080 nowadays. I have (and like) the superzoom SP-560, which you can get for less than $400 online at many etailers. However, although it goes from 27mm wideangle to 486mm telephoto, I would be surprised if its picture quality matched that of the 8080. Also, it uses xD cards.I know you don't like to carry lenses, but I would suggest that you consider the Olympus DSLR's, which have dropped a lot in price recently. Also, the Canon XT was on sale for about $500 with kit lens recently. If you want, you might also consider the Canon G9, which has a 6X optical zoom and 12 megapixel images. However, it uses SD cards.SD cards are cheap now, though, so I wouldn't pass up on that camera, if I liked it, even if I had CF cards.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:42 PM   #3

The only point and shoot that will give you the same excellent picture quality will beto find aused C8080. The camera is a classic.I will not givemine up, even though I own several types of digital cameras. Also, you may check Olympus for an estimated price to repair. They usually repair C8080s for under $300. You are not going to get the same image quality for $300 in a new camera.

Also, check out the official Olympus auction site. Sometimes they offer factory refurbed C8080s. And they usually have several SP-550s that usually go for about $300.

Good luck,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:54 PM   #4

I agree that the 8080's pictures are superb. However, if you do decide to go with an sP-550, you can get them NEW online for less than $300. The SP-560 is about 50 to 75 dollars more.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote