Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 4, 2003, 9:37 PM   #1
Default Olympus C-3040 problem w/ SmartMedia images

I own an Olympus C-3040 zoom digital camera. Occasionally the photos will turn out looking like 1/2 of a photo. The bottom half of the photo will just be a solid (usually tan) color. If you try to view that photo with the camera, the camera LCD info panel on the top of the camera flashes a number (i.e. 80), and the camera locks up since it can't "read" the photo.
I've taken the SmartMedia card out of the camera and used my Card Reader to load the photos into my computer. Sometimes they will come up in PaintShop Pro but other times they will say "invalid file format". It's usually only one out of every 30 or 40 pics that this happens with.
Has anyone else had this happen with the Olympus C-series (or other) digi cams? Perhaps the problem is a defective SmartMedia card (128MB SanDisk)? Or something else...?
I sent the camera in to Olympus while it was still under warranty with this problem. They claimed that they replaced the "main CBA board" and adjusted the camera settings. But it still has those partial image photos come out every once in a while, and I can't figure out what is causing it!
I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this problem.
BJ Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:44 PM   #2
Default Check out Memory Cards or Reader forum...

...and look for "SmartMedia" and "format". The problem you described is that your camera doesn't do a low-level format of the card, only a "quick" format. Writing to the card in a card reader, or moving, rotating, or any other write function (often unknown to you!) may cause this problem. NEVER format your card in the card reader, only in the camera. You may find of use a card reader that comes with the SMPREP.EXE format utility, which will repair damaged SmartMedia cards. Mine is a Dazzle brand, and Zio and other brands also come with the utility.

For a start, whenever you use a card reader to transfer pics, as soon as you return the card to the camera, FORMAT THE CARD USING THE CAMERA'S CARD FORMAT FUNCTION. If you have any more specific questions, please let us know.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote