Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1

Does anyone have a confimred or firm release dtae for the new SW? Amazon shows it as pre-order due in march, but the press release states available in January '08...i'd really like to get one of these ASAP, i have a trip coming up at the end of Feb and i've to have by then,,,
jscarlata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:51 PM   #2

go onto bhphotovideo.com and get their phone number. Call their digital camera department and see if they can help you out. they seem to know a lot of stuff that no one else knows and if that camera won't be out in time I am sure they can help you find a smilar camera.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:45 PM   #3

FYI, it looks like it is currently in stock and shipping (at least some colors) at B&H. I'd be interested in any early impressions or reviews from anyone who gets one. I'm hpoing that Olympus was able to squeeze in a little more performance over the 790SW without sacrificing any of the ruggedness features. I am looking to get this as a second P&S shooter that I can give to the kids, and also use when I'm at the beach, etc., and don't want to risk damage to my other cameras.

newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:47 AM   #4

I had been waiting to buy this camera since it was announced last month. Just got it yesterday and everything was great until I tried to do video in VGA (640x480) resolution. The camera wouldn't take video for longer than 10 seconds in this mode. I called Olympus support, and they confirmed that for VGA resolution it will only shoot that long because of buffer issues.

This may not seem like a big deal to some, but the whole point of this camera for me was to have something I could shoot stills AND video with for most environments. If all I cared about was the quality of still shots (what Olympus told me they were focusing on), I would have bought something other than this "go everywhere camera."

My cheap Cybershot that I got 4 years ago will do VGA for as long as I have memory space. Too bad, because I was really looking forward to this new Olympus, but now it has to go back.
feldspar is offline   Reply With Quote