Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:24 PM   #1

Which waterproof Olympus model would give me the best bang for my buck. I am getting this as second camera to use when it is raining/light showersand I have to take photos and also to also use around fire hoses that are spraying water.

I have 3x 1GB xD cards already so I hope this camera can use them. Also my pirmary camera uses CF cards and AA batteries if that matters.

The longer the zoom the better vut I figure I am going to be stuck with a 3 or 4x optical zoom. The one thing that bothers me is that most of the olympus water tight models use battery packs of some sort and not AAs, which means I will need to get a spare that I might never use or I might get an once in a lifetime event with day long rain storm and 2 battery packs won;t be enough.

Budget with all needed items $300 - $400 max. My primary camera was only $309.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:06 PM   #2

The Stylus 850SW is priced at about $249. It is cheaper because it is only waterproof down to 10 feet instead of the 33 feet for the others. The Stylus 1030SW will run about $399 and the 790SW and 770SW will probably be about $350. They are all rugged, shockproof cameras; but they all use a rechargeable Li-Ion battery. But battery life is good, and the battery does not have to be drained to re-charge it. Compare the different models at:

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:01 PM   #3

I am an Olympus fan , but for snorkeling I use a Pentax W20 for half the price (or W30)

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote