Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:03 PM   #1
Default Nikon 5700 vs Cannon G5 vs Olympus 5050

I know that such a similiar question probably has been posted over a dozen times already. However; I can't seem to find things that I want to know. First of all, I dont really know very much about photography. I am looking to buy a new camera for my girlfriend who is majoring photography in school. So, I did some research on the net and those 3 camera(listed in title) seem to be the top 3 choices. Can someone give me some advice as what to get? My budjet is about 800 USD. Should I buy the cheapest of them and use the rest of money on some assesories(such as filters)? Help a confused mind please~
shakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:21 PM   #2

If you want to buy her the camera, get her a gift certificate for a camera store instead...in many cases, the camera you may choose for her may be totally wrong for her; not only in features, but a very important thing is the way the camera feels in the hands, location of controls (can she operate them while keeping her eye in the viewfinder)...for instance I don't get along with cameras like the G5, and the Nikon menus are more complicated for some.

Also you have three different levels of zoom on those cameras, it's like your girlfriend was learning to drive and you were asking if you should buy her a Porsche, a minivan, or a dumptruck. The zoom level she may want may be different than these cameras, for instance there's the just announced Olympus C-5060 with it's wide-zoom lens (goes down to 27mm).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote