Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:10 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and i desperately need ur help here..
Just got back from my summer holidays..and in a few words..i formatted by mistake my fuji xd card (1 Gb) which is in an olympus μ820 model...
I was trying to change some menu settings..and because of the idiot thing that was all in greek language ( I am greek too, but i hate greek language in technology parts)..i am used to english and only english "communication" with things that have to do with technology..i went to the part where it was saying (in greek) -- Menu-->Settings--> FORMAT..(oh god, i remember it and i wanna cry still)..and i was asked if i really wanted this ((coz it would erase the photos..a fact that i didnt know at that time i was doin it...- about 350 !!! --all my summer vacation photos.. :-( ...
Becoz of the idiot greek bad translation to the word FORMAT i didnt understand...i was about to format..it really..and ..i said yes..beleiving that i was asked once more for safety reasons ...to be sure i would change some menu settings..

I have tried some demo software ( i am very good with pc software and hardware..but nothin yet..

To be honest ..i ll try more..and more..even pay for rescue them.but i wanna know..if anyone else has already been in a situation like this before..and if there is any other special piece of advice for my problem...)Apart form the Image Rescue..etc)..

How can i test if this kind of format has really deleted at all the pics..or do i have some luck - God help- findin them back..?
I already read some threads in the forum..got some ideas..but i really would appreciate any suggestions talkin here..member to member..and especially JimC who is a very experienced person as i can tell..

Please help me guys..
Some help..please...
tagavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:26 PM   #2

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

But, in most cases, Olympus models using xD Picturecard are going to perform a destructive format (versus simply recreating the file allocation table, which is the way most camera models work). In other words, your photos have probably been overwritten by your format (with all bytes in all sectors reset to zero values, with no recoverable data on the card).

I'd try Photorec. It's free. If anything can get them back, it should be able to (if the card is not totally blank, which I suspect it is).

You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page. You'll see links on the download page for multiple operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.).

Select your memory card or flash drive from the list of media it finds, and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at defaults (Partition type, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them, or try to use any utility that writes to the card).

Here's a page showing you how to use it:

But, chances are, they're gone if you formatted the card in an Olympus camera. Hopefully, I'm wrong and you have a model that's an exception.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:35 PM   #3

Here is one more free utility:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:07 PM   #4

Jim C......

I once did the same thing while using a card in my Fuji S5100. However I thought the pictures were safely in the computer but was missing the last two images that I had to have for a photo assignment I was on. Seems I didn't drag over them before I moved the images to my hard drive

I used a program called mmCard recovery and was able to get the photos back -- although it took 3 hours to run through the entire 1GB card........ Have not used the program since then.

I currently use a program entitles photorecovery that I ordered off the internet on recommendations from some people through channels at work and it works good on my CF cards. Even though my Fuji uses xD cards I only shoot to CF cards now (the trustly 16GB 133x transcend you talked me into buying).

Also I learned from that any now to a select all command before I drag the pictures from memory card reader to the hard drive.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote