Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:11 AM   #1
Default Using Oly C-740UZ as storage device.

I know this is an old issue, using your camera and its memory for storing and transferring files between computers, but I would just want to know if it's possible with an Oly C-740UZ, which uses xD cards.

I have read somewhere about someone using a CF card for his/her portable MP3 player and causing it to be corrupted :shock:, or at least unusable in the camera, and I would not want to risk that having purchased a 256mb xD Card recently (which isn't cheap!:?).
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2003, 3:04 PM   #2

The problem with some MP3 players is they format the card to a proprietary format rather than using a standard FAT. This was also a problem with some smartmedia MP3 players:

Personally, I don't let anything write to my cards except the camera (when I want to erase all the pictures after copying, I'll use the camera's Format command)...really shouldn't be a problem just coying files for transfer. If you were doing that a lot though, you should get the proper USB memory thingy, or CDR/CDRWs.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:50 PM   #3

If you write mp3's etc from the PC the file structure would be different and the only way to ensure that did not compromise images being written by the camera would be to reformat the card in the camera.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote